Re: email plugin

  • Erik Christiansen
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 29, 2012
      On 29.11.12 18:48, ping wrote:
      > like most open-source projects, very nice idea plus great
      > apps, but never good docs/tuturials..(except vim)

      The mutt documentation is available on the <F1> key, and is very
      detailed and informative. The capabilities of mutt are significant, so
      acquiring not just knowledge, but understanding, involves effort. That
      is commonly the price paid for FOSS. The mutt-users mailing list is a
      good place to ask why what you have tried is not working as expected.

      > I wanted to start a project to move to mutt after I enjoyed the power
      > of vim. but after hesitate of hesitate I still is hesitating.

      Buy something from M$, then?

      > initially you want to save your time by using some fancy tools, then
      > you have to spend the rest of your life to learn (mostly guess, test,
      > error and retry, little by little) that tiny little thing , just in
      > order to "save your time". Sometime I'm thinking whether this worth
      > or not...
      > as of vim, my enthusiasm was mostly "retained" because of the
      > enthusiasm of peoples (like you guys here) who is always willing to
      > share/help...

      The more you learn, over the decades, the harder it is to retain it all¹.
      My personal software survival notes now amount to several hundred pages.
      They avoid the need to learn stuff several times over - the effort of
      doing it once is enough.

      It is worth remembering that little understanding is needed in order to
      get started, and all the handy customisations can be configured over
      years, as the need becomes evident, and a method is learnt. (The '?'
      command help is also useful in the beginning)

      Put these lines in your ~/.muttrc

      set editor=vim
      set tilde # Show End of Text, like in vim.

      Now vim is a "plug-in" for mutt, and you have leveraged your vim
      knowledge.

      Erik

      ¹ Soft errors in the aging wetware RAM don't help either.

      --
      Telephone books are like dictionaries -- if you know the answer before
      you look it up, you can eventually reaffirm what you thought you knew

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 4, 2012
        Hi vim_use!

        On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Hi Chris!
        >
        > On Fr, 30 Nov 2012, Chris Lott wrote:
        >
        > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I use several handwritten plugin for fixing wrongly encoded characters
        > > > (e.g. change Ä into Ä and several others),
        > > > Deleting quoted Signatures, adding my Signature, changing subject,
        > > > setting options (textwidth, expandtab, formatoptions), reformatting the
        > > > text, spellchecking (this plugin was made before spell checking was
        > > > available in Vim), inserting special text, as well as custom completion
        > > > for addresses and attaching files (this functionality is available in
        > > > my CheckAttach plugin for use with mutt).
        > >
        > > Any chance you would share any of these?
        >
        > Let me first document this a little bit. Currently it is just a bunch of
        > files and a little bit messy to share. I'll update here when I have
        > written down this a little bit, so you can more easily select what you
        > need.

        Here is it:
        http://www.256bit.org/~chrisbra/cms/vim_as_e-mail_editor.html

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        Christian
        --
        "Was sind Tragödien anders als versifizierte Passionen solcher
        Leute, die sich aus den äußern Dingen ich weiß nicht was machen?"