Re: email plugin

  • James Freer
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 29, 2012
      On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, ping wrote:

      > On 11/29/2012 06:20 PM, Michael Hernandez wrote:
      >> On Nov 29, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Rostislav Svoboda
      >> <rostislav.svoboda@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Is there any good email plugin you can recommend me guys? It seems
      >>> like there isn't any star plugin for handling emails in vim, in fact
      >>> google search doesn't return many useful links to this topic. So, I'd
      >>> like to hear your tips & comments before I plunge in an evaluation of
      >>> the existing plugins. Thanx in advance
      >>>
      >>> Bost
      >>>
      >> There's a little plugin called Mutt you might try ;)
      >>
      >> --Mike H
      >>
      > that sucks, like most open-source projects, very nice idea plus great apps,
      > but never good docs/tuturials..(except vim)
      > I wanted to start a project to move to mutt after I enjoyed the power of vim.
      > but after hesitate of hesitate I still is hesitating.
      > initially you want to save your time by using some fancy tools, then you have
      > to spend the rest of your life to learn (mostly guess, test, error and retry,
      > little by little) that tiny little thing , just in order to "save your
      > time". Sometime I'm thinking whether this worth or not...
      > as of vim, my enthusiasm was mostly "retained" because of the enthusiasm of
      > peoples (like you guys here) who is always willing to share/help...
      >
      > regards
      > ping

      I agree with what you're saying. I tried Mutt (which took me about a week to
      set up), then tried Cone (which had problems sending) and i switched to Alpine
      and haven't looked back.

      Some things in alpine i think are a bit old fashioned BUT all well tried and
      tested... and a friendly bunch of maillist folk to help in the unlikely event
      of getting stuck with the very helpful documentation. Each new release and all
      i do is copy across my pinerc file to /home. Vim is popular as the editor
      although pico is fine for emails.

      james

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 4, 2012
        Hi vim_use!

        On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Hi Chris!
        >
        > On Fr, 30 Nov 2012, Chris Lott wrote:
        >
        > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I use several handwritten plugin for fixing wrongly encoded characters
        > > > (e.g. change Ä into Ä and several others),
        > > > Deleting quoted Signatures, adding my Signature, changing subject,
        > > > setting options (textwidth, expandtab, formatoptions), reformatting the
        > > > text, spellchecking (this plugin was made before spell checking was
        > > > available in Vim), inserting special text, as well as custom completion
        > > > for addresses and attaching files (this functionality is available in
        > > > my CheckAttach plugin for use with mutt).
        > >
        > > Any chance you would share any of these?
        >
        > Let me first document this a little bit. Currently it is just a bunch of
        > files and a little bit messy to share. I'll update here when I have
        > written down this a little bit, so you can more easily select what you
        > need.

        Here is it:
        http://www.256bit.org/~chrisbra/cms/vim_as_e-mail_editor.html

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        Christian
        --
        "Was sind Tragödien anders als versifizierte Passionen solcher
        Leute, die sich aus den äußern Dingen ich weiß nicht was machen?"