Vim + tmux with mouse support questions

  • xiebo212
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2012

      I am pretty new for vim and tmux, and exploring right now. I have vim set up
      on terminal (using putty) with mouse support, but when I moved to tmux.
      Found a couple of problems.

      (1) I like quickfix window, use :ccopen to open quickfix window in vim, and
      I can resize the quickfix window with mouse without any problem. But in tmux
      + vim, mouse doesn't seem to work in resizing quickfix window (using mouse
      to click into quickfix window is fine). Note that I was able to use mouse to
      select/resize pan in tmux by the following settings.
      set-option -g mode-mouse on
      set-option -g mouse-select-pane on
      set-option -g mouse-select-window on
      set-option -g mouse-resize-pane on

      The problem here seems to be, how to enable mouse to resize a
      window(quickfix window, NOT tmux window) inside one tmux pane.

      (2) I installed and enabled ctags and taglist in my vim setup. I can use
      mouse to resize taglist window. But when I moved to tmux, taglist window can
      still be opened and entered, but the window resize using mouse seems
      disabled. This is similiar situation in quickfix window.

      Does anybody has an idea about how to fix these problems? I wish I can
      entirely move to tmux using vim+mouse to improve productivity.

      Thanks a lot,
      Bo

    • shawn wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
        i don't have a solution for you - I saw this same thing with tmux and
        found :res / :vertical resize or C-W -/+, </>, =/| actually worked
        faster anyway. more fluid too. so, if anyone has a solution, i'll
        probably use it just to be able to show off vim coolness with the
        mouse again, but it won't do anything for my productivity :)

        this is not (necessarily) an issue with putty as i use rxvt+u and
        screen-256color terminal

        also, this is with mouse=all with vim 7.3

        i'm guessing this is a tmux issue where it is stealing whatever mouse
        terminal command or signal (i don't really know how mice interact with
        the terminal) vim would use to respond the way you want. if this is
        the case, and you get no working response, there's a tmux user list as
        well with a decent community you might look to. (though something like
        this should go in vim's faq somewhere)

        On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM, xiebo212 <xiebo212@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am pretty new for vim and tmux, and exploring right now. I have vim set up
        > on terminal (using putty) with mouse support, but when I moved to tmux.
        > Found a couple of problems.
        >
        > (1) I like quickfix window, use :ccopen to open quickfix window in vim, and
        > I can resize the quickfix window with mouse without any problem. But in tmux
        > + vim, mouse doesn't seem to work in resizing quickfix window (using mouse
        > to click into quickfix window is fine). Note that I was able to use mouse to
        > select/resize pan in tmux by the following settings.
        > set-option -g mode-mouse on
        > set-option -g mouse-select-pane on
        > set-option -g mouse-select-window on
        > set-option -g mouse-resize-pane on
        >
        > The problem here seems to be, how to enable mouse to resize a
        > window(quickfix window, NOT tmux window) inside one tmux pane.
        >
        > (2) I installed and enabled ctags and taglist in my vim setup. I can use
        > mouse to resize taglist window. But when I moved to tmux, taglist window can
        > still be opened and entered, but the window resize using mouse seems
        > disabled. This is similiar situation in quickfix window.
        >
        > Does anybody has an idea about how to fix these problems? I wish I can
        > entirely move to tmux using vim+mouse to improve productivity.
        >
        > Thanks a lot,
        > Bo

      • xiebo212
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012
          Thanks Shawn. I also used command to get around of these types of problems,
          but haven't tried vertical resize. Will try all your suggestions.

          Thanks a lot.
          Bo