Spam from admin@139.com

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
      Does anyone have an archive of mail which includes the spam that
      we receive from admin@...? I need to know when that spam
      started. I kept a few messages, and the earliest I have is
      2012-07-09. Does anyone know of an earlier date? Or, can you say
      when it did NOT occur (that is, you posted to vim_use and did
      not receive the spam)?

      Knowing roughly when it started would allow me to guess which
      member needs to be unsubscribed to fix the problem (I would
      try emailing them first).

      As discussed recently [1], it appears that whenever someone
      posts a message to vim_use, the sender receives a junk mail from
      admin@... a few hours later. It's easy to defeat that by
      flagging the mail as spam so it is not seen in the future.
      However, I would like to fix the problem because it is confusing
      and irritating for each new poster to have to deal with the
      problem.

      It looks like the following happened:
      1. Someone subscribed to vim_use (say me@...).
      2. They set me@... to forward to NUMBER@...
      (NUMBER is a valid mobile phone number in China).
      3. They stopped using NUMBER.
      4. Another person recently was issued NUMBER and they
      know nothing about vim_use.

      A very helpful member of vim_use whom I emailed has sent a text
      message to NUMBER, which replied with point 4 above.

      If anyone has information about when this might have started,
      please reply here or email me.

      [1] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/df4c6a23839627fa

      John

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
        This is an updated outline of the vim_use spam problem.
        Following some email exchanges, I am trying a few things to see
        if I can find a solution and may have more updates.

        The following uses "-at-" instead of "@" so the Google Groups
        web interface will not hide the email addresses.

        It appears that every user who emails a message to the vim_use
        mailing list receives a junk mail from admin-at-139.com a few hours
        later. Each individual can defeat that by flagging the mail as
        spam so it is not seen in the future. However, the problem
        should be fixed because it is confusing and irritating for each
        new poster.

        It looks like the following happened:
        1. Someone subscribed to vim_use.
        2. They set their email to forward messages to
        number-at-139.com (where 'number' is a valid mobile phone
        number in China).
        3. They stopped using the mobile number (around July 2012?).
        4. Another person was issued the number but (fortunately for
        them), they have not activated the number to receive email.

        When a user emails a message to vim_use, Google Groups delivers
        that message to each member with the following in the header:
        From: Username <user-at-example.com>

        The 139.com mail system should use the "Reply-To" address,
        however they reply to the "From:" address to alert the sender
        that the recipient has not activated their email.

        This problem started around 9 July 2012.

        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
          On 02/12/12 10:55, John Beckett wrote:
          > This is an updated outline of the vim_use spam problem.
          > Following some email exchanges, I am trying a few things to see
          > if I can find a solution and may have more updates.
          >
          > The following uses "-at-" instead of "@" so the Google Groups
          > web interface will not hide the email addresses.
          >
          > It appears that every user who emails a message to the vim_use
          > mailing list receives a junk mail from admin-at-139.com a few hours
          > later. Each individual can defeat that by flagging the mail as
          > spam so it is not seen in the future. However, the problem
          > should be fixed because it is confusing and irritating for each
          > new poster.
          >
          > It looks like the following happened:
          > 1. Someone subscribed to vim_use.
          > 2. They set their email to forward messages to
          > number-at-139.com (where 'number' is a valid mobile phone
          > number in China).
          > 3. They stopped using the mobile number (around July 2012?).
          > 4. Another person was issued the number but (fortunately for
          > them), they have not activated the number to receive email.
          >
          > When a user emails a message to vim_use, Google Groups delivers
          > that message to each member with the following in the header:
          > From: Username <user-at-example.com>
          >
          > The 139.com mail system should use the "Reply-To" address,
          > however they reply to the "From:" address to alert the sender
          > that the recipient has not activated their email.
          >
          > This problem started around 9 July 2012.
          >
          > John

          In my gmail "spam" folder I indeed notice messages in Chinese sent by
          "admin", and at mouseover that sendername expands to admin-at-139.com.
          Only a drop in the sea of spam I get from other sources.

          Can I do anything to help you? Do you want one or more such emails sent
          forward-as-attachment so you could have a look at the "Received" lines
          in the headers? (I suppose you get enough of them yourself though).

          Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
          ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...
          GALAHAD: Three, sir!
          ARTHUR: Three.
          PICTURES LTD

        • JohnBeckett
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
            I am attempting to find the vim_use member who is forwarding
            mail to an account at 139.com that they are no longer using,
            with the result that everyone who posts to vim_use receives a
            confusing spam response from admin@... 24 hours later.

            I have sent a message to all 2123 members of vim_use who are set
            to receive email, and have not received a spam response from
            admin@... (I was hoping to get such a response, which would
            have allowed me to identify the subscribed address responsible).

            The messages were sent 60 at a time by pasting addresses into
            BCC. The header would therefore be very different from that of a
            message from vim_use, and that may account for why I did not get
            a response.

            I will discuss whether anything more can be done with Bram.

            John

          • James Freer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
              On Sun, 16 Dec 2012, JohnBeckett wrote:

              > I am attempting to find the vim_use member who is forwarding
              > mail to an account at 139.com that they are no longer using,
              > with the result that everyone who posts to vim_use receives a
              > confusing spam response from admin@... 24 hours later.
              >
              > I have sent a message to all 2123 members of vim_use who are set
              > to receive email, and have not received a spam response from
              > admin@... (I was hoping to get such a response, which would
              > have allowed me to identify the subscribed address responsible).
              >
              > The messages were sent 60 at a time by pasting addresses into
              > BCC. The header would therefore be very different from that of a
              > message from vim_use, and that may account for why I did not get
              > a response.
              >
              > I will discuss whether anything more can be done with Bram.
              >
              > John

              [xubuntu 12.04 linux user]

              I received that spam mail ONCE. Gmail seems to cope with spam better than yahoo
              or aol (as the large providers) and it would seem that problems could lie with
              folk who've set up their own email servers.

              With aol (i only use it as a spare email and only have it for AIM) i did have a
              problem with a certain email virus that sent emails to each listed in the
              addressbook. Now i use Alpine and have deleted ALL addressbook entries on the
              server i've had no more problems.

              Perhaps someone more IT email knowledgeable can advise how this spam email is
              working and thus we can resolve the issue. For it seems to have gone.

              james

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
                I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
                admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
                mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
                about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
                who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
                obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
                permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
                yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
                not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
                problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.

                Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

                John

              • Fredrik Andersson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
                  On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                  I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
                  admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
                  mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
                  about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
                  who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
                  obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
                  permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
                  yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
                  not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
                  problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.

                  Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

                  John

                  Many thanks for fixing this!

                • Phil Dobbin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
                    On 12/20/2012 08:02 AM, John Beckett wrote:

                    > I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
                    > admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
                    > mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
                    > about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
                    > who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
                    > obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
                    > permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
                    > yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
                    > not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
                    > problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.
                    >
                    > Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

                    Thank you, John, for taking the time to clear this up. Any dealings with
                    email is usually tedious & time consuming so much appreciated.

                    Cheers,

                    Phil...

                    --
                    currently (ab)using
                    CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,