Re: VIM v7 and v7.3.46: End of Life and End of Support Dates needed

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
      On 29/11/12 02:57, rams wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am looking for End of Life and End of Support dates for:
      > VIM 7
      > VIM 7.3.46
      >
      > Can you please share the info for this?
      >
      > Thanks in advance!

      AFAIK, 7.0 and 7.3.46 are already at EOL. OTOH, if by "Vim 7" you mean
      the set of Vim releases starting at 7.0 and extending until but not
      including 8.0, then Vim 7 is still supported, even current. Its current
      patchlevel is 7.3.743 which was released in source form a few hours ago
      ("Wed Nov 28 23:03:07 2012 +0100" according to the Mercurial repository).

      As long as Vim 7.3.x remains current, you can find an up-to-date list of
      its patchlevels (with a one-line description of each of them) at
      http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.3/ or
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.3/README

      See also http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial

      Go 'way! You're bothering me!

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
        On 2012-11-28, rams wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking for End of Life and End of Support dates for:
        > VIM 7
        > VIM 7.3.46
        >
        > Can you please share the info for this?

        I am not an official spokesman for Vim. The following is just my
        perspective.

        I don't know what those terms mean in the context of an open source
        project such as Vim. What do those terms mean to you?

        In a sense, support for 7.3.46 ended the moment 7.3.47 was released.
        Bugs found in 7.3.46 would probably still be fixed, if they still
        exist in the latest version of Vim, but the fix would be a patch
        to the latest version, not a patch to just 7.3.46.

        Support for Vim is usually very good and very prompt, but it's not
        guaranteed. Support is given for free by people who contribute
        their free time, when it suits them.

        Regards,
        Gary

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
          On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:11:52 PM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:
          > On 2012-11-28, rams wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          >

          > > I am looking for End of Life and End of Support dates for:
          >
          > > VIM 7
          >
          > > VIM 7.3.46
          >

          > > Can you please share the info for this?
          >

          > I am not an official spokesman for Vim. The following is just my
          >
          > perspective.
          >

          > I don't know what those terms mean in the context of an open source
          >
          > project such as Vim. What do those terms mean to you?

          Some open-source projects (like Python, for example) have a cutting-edge version but also release security updates, etc. for older versions. So you can still download Python 2.7 for example even though they're pushing Python 3.

          It would be like having a Vim 7.2 branch that we would back-port crash fixes and data loss issues and the like from the default branch (7.3). But Vim doesn't work this way, and as far as I know, it hasn't ever worked this way. With Vim it seems there is only ever one active line of development.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
            On 29/11/12 16:55, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:11:52 PM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:
            >> On 2012-11-28, rams wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hello,
            >>

            >>> I am looking for End of Life and End of Support dates for:
            >>
            >>> VIM 7
            >>
            >>> VIM 7.3.46
            >>

            >>> Can you please share the info for this?
            >>

            >> I am not an official spokesman for Vim. The following is just my
            >>
            >> perspective.
            >>

            >> I don't know what those terms mean in the context of an open source
            >>
            >> project such as Vim. What do those terms mean to you?
            >>

            > Some open-source projects (like Python, for example) have a cutting-edge version but also release security updates, etc. for older versions. So you can still download Python 2.7 for example even though they're pushing Python 3.
            >
            > It would be like having a Vim 7.2 branch that we would back-port crash fixes and data loss issues and the like from the default branch (7.3). But Vim doesn't work this way, and as far as I know, it hasn't ever worked this way. With Vim it seems there is only ever one active line of development.

            From time to time, but not at this precise moment, development has
            happened on some "future code branch" of Vim, which was then labeled as
            either "alpha" or "beta". Important security-and-stability bug fixes
            have been, at such times, backported from the "future" release to the
            "current stable" release. Nowadays, however, the only code branch
            visibly under development is the current stable branch, namely Vim
            7.3.x, and all previous branches are at EOL AFAICT. This means that, as
            Gary said, currently each new patchlevel obsoletes all previous ones:
            the current version is 7.3.744 released some three hours ago as I'm
            typing this message. Like Ben said, any bug found in some earlier
            release will still be investigated and, if some already published
            patchlevel did not fix it, a fix will be attempted, and, if found and
            accepted by Bram, published as a new patchlevel, etc.

            Someday an alpha or beta pre-release of 7.4 or 8.0 will probably appear,
            and then we will again be in the other, "transition" case described at
            the beginning of the previous paragraph, until a new "stable" 7.4 or 8.0
            release obsoletes the 7.3.x branch.

            The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it
            were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.
            -- H. L. Mencken

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012

              --
              The meta-Turing test counts a thing as intelligent if it seeks to
              devise and apply Turing tests to objects of its own creation.