Interpretation of extension fields in tags file

  • Johannes Deutsch
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hello list,

      related to the generation of a tags file via ctags one finds almost
      always the following options switched on (googling for "vim ctags
      field"):

      ctags --fields=+iaS \
      --extra=+q [other_options] [files/dirs]

      With respect to the three additional fields, added to the tags file by
      the switch '--fields=+iaS', vim's help (:h tag-old-static) tells me

      There is one field that doesn't have a ':'. This is the kind
      of the tag. It is handled like it was preceded with "kind:".
      See the documentation of ctags for the kinds it produces.

      The only other field currently recognized by Vim is "file:"
      (with an empty value). It is used for a static tag.

      I can't find anything about the fields that contains the signature of
      routine (S), access of class members (a) and inheritance
      information (i).

      In the light of vim's help I wonder why i find so many
      sites that evokes --fields=+iaS?

      Is vim able to use the extension fields out of the box? Or maybe there
      is another explanation why extension fields are so popular!?

      Thanks a lot for your time and best regards

      Johannes

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
        On 28/11/12 16:20, Johannes Deutsch wrote:
        > Hello list,
        >
        > related to the generation of a tags file via ctags one finds almost
        > always the following options switched on (googling for "vim ctags
        > field"):
        >
        > ctags --fields=+iaS \
        > --extra=+q [other_options] [files/dirs]
        >
        > With respect to the three additional fields, added to the tags file by
        > the switch '--fields=+iaS', vim's help (:h tag-old-static) tells me
        >
        > There is one field that doesn't have a ':'. This is the kind
        > of the tag. It is handled like it was preceded with "kind:".
        > See the documentation of ctags for the kinds it produces.
        >
        > The only other field currently recognized by Vim is "file:"
        > (with an empty value). It is used for a static tag.
        >
        > I can't find anything about the fields that contains the signature of
        > routine (S), access of class members (a) and inheritance
        > information (i).
        >
        > In the light of vim's help I wonder why i find so many
        > sites that evokes --fields=+iaS?
        >
        > Is vim able to use the extension fields out of the box? Or maybe there
        > is another explanation why extension fields are so popular!?
        >
        > Thanks a lot for your time and best regards
        >
        > Johannes

        The taglist() function returns a List of Dictionaries (one Dictionary
        per matching tag) which (IIUC) gives you access to this info.

        see :help taglist()

        Politicians do it to everyone.

      • Johannes Deutsch
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
          On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:04:49 +0100
          Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          > On 28/11/12 16:20, Johannes Deutsch wrote:
          > > Hello list,
          > >
          > > related to the generation of a tags file via ctags one finds almost
          > > always the following options switched on (googling for "vim ctags
          > > field"):
          > >
          > > ctags --fields=+iaS \
          > > --extra=+q [other_options] [files/dirs]
          > >
          > > With respect to the three additional fields, added to the tags file
          > > by the switch '--fields=+iaS', vim's help (:h tag-old-static) tells
          > > me
          > >
          > > There is one field that doesn't have a ':'. This is the
          > > kind of the tag. It is handled like it was preceded with "kind:".
          > > See the documentation of ctags for the kinds it produces.
          > >
          > > The only other field currently recognized by Vim is "file:"
          > > (with an empty value). It is used for a static tag.
          > >
          > > I can't find anything about the fields that contains the signature
          > > of routine (S), access of class members (a) and inheritance
          > > information (i).
          > >
          > > In the light of vim's help I wonder why i find so many
          > > sites that evokes --fields=+iaS?
          > >
          > > Is vim able to use the extension fields out of the box? Or maybe
          > > there is another explanation why extension fields are so popular!?
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot for your time and best regards
          > >
          > > Johannes
          > >

          > The taglist() function returns a List of Dictionaries (one Dictionary
          > per matching tag) which (IIUC) gives you access to this info.
          >
          > see :help taglist()

          Thank you for your answer.

          Do you know any vim scripts that make the key:value pairs returned by
          taglist() easy accessible to the user? In particular i think about
          adding information to the drop down completion menu. Currently it only
          shows the value of name, kind and cmd. Can the user change the entries
          that are shown?