Re: Email backscatter problem [was: Re: Is Vundle dead?]

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
      On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <vim@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Phil Dobbin wrote:
      >
      >> On 11/25/2012 06:50 PM, Marco wrote:
      >>
      >>> 2012-11-25 Phil Dobbin:

      >>> It's unrelated to this thread. Since several weeks, I have the same
      >>> issues every time I send a mail to the vim list.
      >>

      >> It's the first one I've received. I always check my bitbucket before
      >> deleting & there has been no sign of anything before.
      >

      > I've been getting these for months. It's one of those "inbox protection"
      > schemes, where the sender is forced to click a link to let the message pass
      > through. It appears to be a mobile phone mailbox, so probably it was
      > errantly subscribed in the first place. Can an admin take a look?
      >
      > Email is of the form:
      >
      > 13657...@...
      >
      > Where the local part (13657...) is a phone number. (A mobile prepaid card,
      > according to Googling it.)

      I have been getting email from a admin@... with a lot of Chinese
      characters on both sides of admin. It is going straight into spam now
      and has been after the second time I got it.

    • Benjamin R. Haskell
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012

        Yes, the emails come from admin@..., but they're on behalf of the
        13657...@... subscriber (so `admin@` is akin to `postmaster@`).

        --
        Best,
        Ben

      • Benjamin Klein
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
          On Nov 25, 2012, at 4:11 PM, "Benjamin R. Haskell" <vim@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, stosss wrote:
          >
          >> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
          >>>
          >>> I've been getting these for months. It's one of those "inbox protection" schemes, where the sender is forced to click a link to let the message pass through. It appears to be a mobile phone mailbox, so probably it was errantly subscribed in the first place. Can an admin take a look?
          >>>
          >>> Email is of the form:
          >>>
          >>> 13657...@...
          >>>
          >>> Where the local part (13657...) is a phone number. (A mobile prepaid card, according to Googling it.)
          >>
          >> I have been getting email from a admin@... with a lot of Chinese characters on both sides of admin. It is going straight into spam now and has been after the second time I got it.
          >
          > Yes, the emails come from admin@..., but they're on behalf of the 13657...@... subscriber (so `admin@` is akin to `postmaster@`).
          >
          > --
          > Best,
          > Ben

          I have been getting these (from 139.com) too -- as far as I can tell, I’ve gotten one at least each time I’ve written to the list.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
            Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
            > Yes, the emails come from admin@..., but they're on
            > behalf of the 13657...@... subscriber (so `admin@` is
            > akin to `postmaster@`).

            I just had another attempt at working out how the spam
            from admin@... is being sent to each person who posts.
            As a manager of vim_use I have exported the current subscriber
            list which shows
            email address, nickname, time joined, delivery method

            The only entry matching the pattern \<139\> shows an email
            address of the form (the "j.smith" is made up):
            j.smith.139 -at- gmail.com

            Three other entries match pattern "139":
            1. <long user name, mostly digits> -at- n5.nabble.com
            2. <user name of digits> -at- qq.com
            3. A gmail.com user with "139" in nickname.

            No entries match pattern "1365" (my mail has a couple of
            "mailto" links with target 13657854020 -at- 139.com).

            Google translate shows this for a spam message:
            When you send mail, the mailbox has not been activated.
            We have to send the SMS notification Ta activation
            mailbox, check your e-mail.

            As of when you receive this message, you activate and
            read the letter sent to the following email as follows:

            Perhaps it is a subscriber using a system that forwards mail
            to a 139.com address, or a broken attempt to mirror the vim_use
            mailing list inside China, or some scam.

            If anyone has some ideas for how to remove this irritation,
            or any further checking I might do, please post here or
            direct to me.

            John

          • Marc Weber
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 25, 2012
              Excerpts from Chris Lott's message of Sun Nov 25 18:46:06 +0100 2012:
              > On this topic-- is it difficult to move from Pathogen to VAM? Can I
              > keep my bundle directory of plugins but use VAM with it?
              AFAIK it doesn't make a big difference cause both pathogen an VAM put
              all plugins into one directory. In the VAM case it'll also contain
              vim-addon-manager (the code, only a small file will be loaded on each startup, install code as needed)
              vim-addon-manager-known-repositories (the pool associating names with sources)

              If directories already exist VAM will use them, and run 'git pull' on
              git directories when you want to update them. If they don't it'll use
              the sources registered at VAM-known-repositories to fetch.

              So just reading the the section 2 in docs about how to install it
              setting the directory should be enough.

              Marc Weber

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 26, 2012
                Marc Weber wrote:
                (snip)
                > More than that you don't want to load all plugins always. Eg plugins
                > such as DrawIt may be useful once a month. What do do? Using VAM you
                > just do: :ActivateAddon DrawIt at runtime and you're done. Marc Weber
                (snip)

                Of course, DrawIt uses vim's autoload method, and so has a very low
                overhead (sets up 6 commands and 2 maps) -- its main script isn't loaded
                until used.

                And, there's AsNeeded...

                AsNeeded provides on-demand loading; put what would normally go in
                .vim/plugin
                and it will be loaded when requested. By request means: when one has
                issued a
                command or called a function in the plugin. Unfortunately it does not do
                on-demand loading based on maps that may be defined in the plugin.

                You may get it from:

                http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=915 (stable)
                http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#ASNEEDED
                (cutting edge)