Re: Deactivating ESC

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      On 11:07 Sat 24 Nov , Tobias Pflug wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > i was talking to a friend recently who had remapped capslock to ESC on his macbook. While the capslock key is indeed easier to reach the problem lies with the muscle memory and the years of reaching for ESC ;-)
      >
      > Now the question is, can you somehow deactivate/remap the *actual* ESC key leaving capslock untouched ? I can't very well map <ESC> to <NOP> because capslock is then obviously mapped to <NOP> as well. Any ideas on this ?
      >
      > thank you.
      > -Tobi

      Since you (and me as well, though I am on Linux) are using system to
      change that this might not be possible: now CAPSLOCK generates the same
      keykode as ESC, so there is no way that vim could find a difference
      between them. What you can do is to remap ESC to CAPSLOCK in your
      system and that's probably the best solution. In all the other aps you
      will learn to use CAPSLOCK instead of ESC :) - you will have much more
      opportunities to learn the new layout.

      What about using <C-C> in insert mode, or even remapping <C-C> to <ESC>
      since there are some differences. Like triggering InsertLeave
      autocommand group (:help InsertLeave).

      Best,
      Marcin

    • Vito Cutten
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
        I'd suggest getting a nine volt battery, some wire and tin foil. Cover the top of esc key in tin foil and connect the wire to the tin foil and battery. The result should now give you a mild electric shock each time you reach for the esc key.

        Note: not recommended if you have a pace maker.

        Vito from mobile device

        On Nov 24, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

        > On 11:07 Sat 24 Nov , Tobias Pflug wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> i was talking to a friend recently who had remapped capslock to ESC on his macbook. While the capslock key is indeed easier to reach the problem lies with the muscle memory and the years of reaching for ESC ;-)
        >>
        >> Now the question is, can you somehow deactivate/remap the *actual* ESC key leaving capslock untouched ? I can't very well map <ESC> to <NOP> because capslock is then obviously mapped to <NOP> as well. Any ideas on this ?
        >>
        >> thank you.
        >> -Tobi
        >>
        >> --
        >
        > Since you (and me as well, though I am on Linux) are using system to
        > change that this might not be possible: now CAPSLOCK generates the same
        > keykode as ESC, so there is no way that vim could find a difference
        > between them. What you can do is to remap ESC to CAPSLOCK in your
        > system and that's probably the best solution. In all the other aps you
        > will learn to use CAPSLOCK instead of ESC :) - you will have much more
        > opportunities to learn the new layout.
        >
        > What about using <C-C> in insert mode, or even remapping <C-C> to <ESC>
        > since there are some differences. Like triggering InsertLeave
        > autocommand group (:help InsertLeave).
        >
        > Best,
        > Marcin

      • Tobias Klausmann
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
          Hi!

          On Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Tobias Pflug wrote:
          > i was talking to a friend recently who had remapped capslock to ESC on his macbook. While the capslock key is indeed easier to reach the problem lies with the muscle memory and the years of reaching for ESC ;-)
          >
          > Now the question is, can you somehow deactivate/remap the *actual* ESC key leaving capslock untouched ? I can't very well map <ESC> to <NOP> because capslock is then obviously mapped to <NOP> as well. Any ideas on this ?

          If you want to get rid of the classic ESC key /for all of X11/,
          you could use xmodmap/xkeycaps to make a modmap that you load on
          startup. I've been using something similar to make the right alt
          key a compose key.

          Regards,
          Tobias

          --