Re: Vim vs GVim

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
      > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

      I use gvim, on Kubuntu. I turn off the menu with set go-=T go-=M, I change gui.h to have
      #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8
      ,I use the QtCurve widget style (which has *hundreds* of options) to shave pixels where possible, and use a 7 point font. gvim takes up the same space as vim in konsole, and the scroll bar and pop menu works. (Sometimes I use KDE's window controls to turn off the window title and frame, too. With the scroll bar off, I get four 80 column vim windows across my 1920x1080 monitor.)

      Regards, John

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
        On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:07:42 PM UTC+13, I wrote:
        > ... I change gui.h to have
        > #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8

        It's just occurred to me that not many readers will know what that does. It's the scroll bar default width, normally set to 16. Vim's GTK2 code lacks the whatever to pick it up from GTK customization files. Saves 8 pixels, the height of the vim window! (I have colorize_scrollbar = TRUE in one of those files to make it easy to see the "thumb".)

        Regards, John Little

      • BPJ
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
          On 2012-11-20 04:53, Heldraug wrote:
          > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
          >
          > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's straightforward to get it up and running.
          >
          > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes. I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
          >
          > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

          I'm far from an expert, but I use gvim because I use a
          lot of non-ASCII-non-Latin-1 characters, and above all
          because of my vision problems. A lot of white space is
          a necessity and colorful syntax highlighting is a great
          help for me to read from screen.

          /bpj