Re: Mouse handling in urxvt

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2012
      On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:59:57 AM UTC+13, Johannes Deutsch wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > i want to have mouse support for vim if it runs in urxvt v9.15.
      >
      > To achieve this i downloaded the latest version of vim which includes
      > the latest patches along with mouse support for urxvt and compiled
      > it. After that
      >
      > vim --version | grep urxvt
      >
      > yields
      >
      > +mouse_urxvt +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
      > +netbeans_intg

      Just installed urxvt 9.15 from some Ubuntu repository, and my
      vim --version | grep urxvt

      says

      +mouse_sgr -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_urxvt +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang

      (Hmm, what options did you use compiling vim? Did you get a "Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI" as shown by :ver in vim?)

      > So i tested the mouse in vim (and set ttym=urxvt, mousemodel=extend
      > and mouse=a inside vim) and observed strange actions in response of
      > mouse events compared with ':h mouse-overview'. For instance :
      >
      > insert mode: single left click => cursor moves to position of the
      > mouse pointer
      > single right click => leave insert mode:

      Running

      vim -u NONE -N -c 'set ttym=urxvt mousemodel=extend mouse=a'

      I got single right click -> start visual mode from vim's cursor to point of click, in both normal and insert modes, and in visual mode the selection changes. I imagine this is what you want.

      Regards, John

    • Johannes Deutsch
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
        On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:22:10 -0800 (PST)
        John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:

        > On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:59:57 AM UTC+13, Johannes Deutsch
        > wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > i want to have mouse support for vim if it runs in urxvt v9.15.
        > >
        > > To achieve this i downloaded the latest version of vim which
        > > includes the latest patches along with mouse support for urxvt and
        > > compiled it. After that
        > >
        > > vim --version | grep urxvt
        > >
        > > yields
        > >
        > > +mouse_urxvt +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
        > > +netbeans_intg
        >
        > Just installed urxvt 9.15 from some Ubuntu repository, and my
        > vim --version | grep urxvt
        >
        > says
        >
        > +mouse_sgr -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_urxvt +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
        > +multi_lang
        >
        > (Hmm, what options did you use compiling vim? Did you get a "Huge
        > version with GTK2-GNOME GUI" as shown by :ver in vim?)
        >
        > > So i tested the mouse in vim (and set ttym=urxvt, mousemodel=extend
        > > and mouse=a inside vim) and observed strange actions in response of
        > > mouse events compared with ':h mouse-overview'. For instance :
        > >
        > > insert mode: single left click => cursor moves to position of the
        > > mouse pointer
        > > single right click => leave insert mode:
        >
        > Running
        >
        > vim -u NONE -N -c 'set ttym=urxvt mousemodel=extend mouse=a'
        >
        > I got single right click -> start visual mode from vim's cursor to
        > point of click, in both normal and insert modes, and in visual mode
        > the selection changes. I imagine this is what you want.
        >
        > Regards, John

        Hi John,

        thanks a lot for your reply and the time you've invested.

        After i invoked

        vim -u NONE -N -c 'set ttym=urxvt mousemodel=extend mouse=a'

        vim's response to mouse events were just like expected. After this
        surprise i tried to narrow down the error with

        vim --noplugin -c 'set ttym=urxvt mousemodel=extend mouse=a'

        Started vim with this setting the mouse behavior is broken again.

        So it seems for me that there is a setting in one of these filenames
        returned by ':scriptnames':

        1: ~/.vimrc
        2: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim
        3: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin.vim
        4: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
        5: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
        6: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
        7: ~/.vim/autoload/pathogen.vim
        8: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/ftoff.vim
        9: ~/.vim/bundle/UltiSnips-2.2/ftdetect/UltiSnips.vim
        10: ~/.vim/bundle/UltiSnips-2.2/ftdetect/snippets.vim
        11: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/man.vim
        12: /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/syntax/nosyntax.vim
        13: ~/.vim/bundle/vim-colors-solarized/colors/solarized.vim

        which breaks the correct behavior of the mouse.

        Unfortunately i don't know how to debug the startup of vim and which
        setting could interfere with the mouse settings.

        Maybe someone has an idea!?

        Thanks for your time and with best regards

        Johannes

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
          On Friday, November 23, 2012 6:22:32 AM UTC+13, Johannes Deutsch wrote:
          >So it seems for me that there is a setting in one of these filenames
          >returned by ':scriptnames':
          > 1: ~/.vimrc
          > Unfortunately i don't know how to debug the startup of vim and which
          > setting could interfere with the mouse settings.

          My first suspect would be your .vimrc. A way to debug it is to add the line

          finish

          at the beginning, restart vim. If the problem's gone, move it to the middle, restart, and binary chop till you find the culprit.

          Regards, John

        • Johannes Deutsch
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
            On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:20:21 -0800 (PST)
            John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:

            > On Friday, November 23, 2012 6:22:32 AM UTC+13, Johannes Deutsch
            > wrote:
            > >So it seems for me that there is a setting in one of these filenames
            > >returned by ':scriptnames':
            > > 1: ~/.vimrc
            > > Unfortunately i don't know how to debug the startup of vim and which
            > > setting could interfere with the mouse settings.
            >
            > My first suspect would be your .vimrc. A way to debug it is to add
            > the line
            >
            > finish
            >
            > at the beginning, restart vim. If the problem's gone, move it to the
            > middle, restart, and binary chop till you find the culprit.

            Thank you for the tip!

            In the meanwhile i found the malefactor. The following mapping in
            my .vimrc broke the urxvt mouse support:

            noremap <ESC> <C-\><C-N>

            Probably it interferes the interpretation of escape sequences send by
            mouse events.

            I replaced it with

            autocmd CmdwinEnter * noremap <buffer> <C-c> <C-\><C-N>

            and everything works as expected again. Although i think a mapping of
            <ESC> to <C-\><C-N> is convenient it seems that i have to do it without
            it.

            best regards and thanks for your time

            Johannes