Re: Vim vs GVim

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
      On 2012-11-20, David Fishburn wrote:
      > > I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
      > > (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
      > > machines I use.
      >
      > I was also doing that and found SyncToy unbearable slow for such a small set of
      > files. I am wondering if you have encountered similar issues? My Googling
      > showed lots of people complaining.

      I run SyncToy as a Scheduled Task every 15 minutes on my Windows
      machine at work to synchronize the Vim files on that machine with
      those on a Linux machine, also at work, that I don't want to run
      Dropbox on. If it is slow, I don't notice it because it doesn't
      interrupt anything I'm doing.

      > I switched over to using robocopy (or "Robust File Copy", http://
      > technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx). Any *nix boy
      > would love it, it has about a 1000 switches ;)

      I use robocopy to back up that same Windows machine. I do love the
      configurability. However, I need to be able to synchronize in both
      directions between pairs of Vim directories and it wasn't as obvious
      to me how to do that with robocopy as it was with SyncToy.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
        On 11/19/12 21:53, Heldraug wrote:
        > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
        > which operative system?

        These two go hand-in-hand for me. Most of my time is spent on
        Debian Linux where I use (non-g)vim in an rxvt console or over a ssh
        connection. On Win32 (at work), I primarily use gvim, except when I
        forget to put a message in my svn commits, where I have it open the
        "edit the message" in (non-g)vim.

        I do occasionally use gvim on Linux, mostly when doing
        Unicode-related stuff, as gvim seems to handle it better than the
        vim+console combination.

        > Prefered colorscheme? Reason?

        My own, because it's what I like :-D

        However, it doesn't stray too far from the stock "elflord" scheme on
        which it was based. FWIW, I prefer light-on-dark, and my consoles
        are set up that way too. Perhaps too much time growing up spent
        looking at green-screen Kermit/telnet sessions :-)

        > I don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space,
        > though I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better
        > colorschemes.

        When I run gvim, I run it without most of the GUI chrome (no
        menu-bar or toolbar, though I do let it show the scrollbar) to get
        the most real-estate for my content.

        > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though.
        > I haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.

        I do both tmux and GNU-screen as-needed. I started with "screen",
        but prefer some of the tmux features, so am slowly training my
        fingers to change over.

        -tim

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
          > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

          I use gvim, on Kubuntu. I turn off the menu with set go-=T go-=M, I change gui.h to have
          #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8
          ,I use the QtCurve widget style (which has *hundreds* of options) to shave pixels where possible, and use a 7 point font. gvim takes up the same space as vim in konsole, and the scroll bar and pop menu works. (Sometimes I use KDE's window controls to turn off the window title and frame, too. With the scroll bar off, I get four 80 column vim windows across my 1920x1080 monitor.)

          Regards, John

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
            On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:07:42 PM UTC+13, I wrote:
            > ... I change gui.h to have
            > #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8

            It's just occurred to me that not many readers will know what that does. It's the scroll bar default width, normally set to 16. Vim's GTK2 code lacks the whatever to pick it up from GTK customization files. Saves 8 pixels, the height of the vim window! (I have colorize_scrollbar = TRUE in one of those files to make it easy to see the "thumb".)

            Regards, John Little

          • BPJ
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
              On 2012-11-20 04:53, Heldraug wrote:
              > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
              >
              > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's straightforward to get it up and running.
              >
              > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes. I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
              >
              > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

              I'm far from an expert, but I use gvim because I use a
              lot of non-ASCII-non-Latin-1 characters, and above all
              because of my vision problems. A lot of white space is
              a necessity and colorful syntax highlighting is a great
              help for me to read from screen.

              /bpj