Re: Vim vs GVim

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
      On 2012-11-19, Heldraug wrote:
      > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
      > which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
      >
      > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from
      > pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's
      > straightforward to get it up and running.
      >
      > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I
      > don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though
      > I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes.
      > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I
      > haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
      >
      > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or
      > GVim?

      I use vim almost all the time because I usually use it in
      conjunction with Linux command-line tools or remotely over an ssh
      connection, so I'm either already in a terminal when I start vim or
      I need a real terminal to capture the output of some program run
      from within vim.

      When I launch Vim from a GUI program, such as Firefox to edit a text
      area, or when I'm using Windows, then I use gvim.

      I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
      (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
      machines I use. Further, I have my .vimrc and my colorscheme files
      tuned to make Vim look and feel the same whether using Linux or
      Windows, vim or gvim.

      Tools such as Pathogen seem like overkill for the sets of plugins I
      use. I've added two directories to my 'runtimepath' to help manage
      plugins: one for the plugins I've created and one for vim-latex.
      All the other plugins contributed by others are in the standard
      places under ~/.vim.

      As others have mentioned, you can use 'guioptions' to turn off
      certain GUI features to save screen space. I never use scrollbars
      or the tool bar, so I have these settings in my .vimrc:

      set guioptions-=l
      set guioptions-=L
      set guioptions-=r
      set guioptions-=R
      set guioptions-=T

      Regards,
      Gary

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
        I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
        (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
        machines I use.

        I was also doing that and found SyncToy unbearable slow for such a small set of files.  I am wondering if you have encountered similar issues?  My Googling showed lots of people complaining.

        I switched over to using robocopy (or "Robust File Copy", http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx).  Any *nix boy would love it, it has about a 1000 switches ;)

        David

        On 2012-11-19, Heldraug wrote:
        > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
        > which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
        >
        > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from
        > pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's
        > straightforward to get it up and running.
        >
        > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I
        > don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though
        > I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes.
        > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I
        > haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
        >
        > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or
        > GVim?

        I use vim almost all the time because I usually use it in
        conjunction with Linux command-line tools or remotely over an ssh
        connection, so I'm either already in a terminal when I start vim or
        I need a real terminal to capture the output of some program run
        from within vim.

        When I launch Vim from a GUI program, such as Firefox to edit a text
        area, or when I'm using Windows, then I use gvim.

        I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
        (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
        machines I use.  Further, I have my .vimrc and my colorscheme files
        tuned to make Vim look and feel the same whether using Linux or
        Windows, vim or gvim.

        Tools such as Pathogen seem like overkill for the sets of plugins I
        use.  I've added two directories to my 'runtimepath' to help manage
        plugins:  one for the plugins I've created and one for vim-latex.
        All the other plugins contributed by others are in the standard
        places under ~/.vim.

        As others have mentioned, you can use 'guioptions' to turn off
        certain GUI features to save screen space.  I never use scrollbars
        or the tool bar, so I have these settings in my .vimrc:

            set guioptions-=l
            set guioptions-=L
            set guioptions-=r
            set guioptions-=R
            set guioptions-=T

        Regards,
        Gary

      • Benjamin Klein

          On 2012-11-19, Heldraug wrote:
          > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
          > which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
          >
          > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from
          > pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's
          > straightforward to get it up and running.
          >
          > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I
          > don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though
          > I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes.
          > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I
          > haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
          >
          > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or
          > GVim?

          I use vim almost all the time because I usually use it in
          conjunction with Linux command-line tools or remotely over an ssh
          connection, so I'm either already in a terminal when I start vim or
          I need a real terminal to capture the output of some program run
          from within vim.

          When I launch Vim from a GUI program, such as Firefox to edit a text
          area, or when I'm using Windows, then I use gvim.

          I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
          (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
          machines I use.  Further, I have my .vimrc and my colorscheme files
          tuned to make Vim look and feel the same whether using Linux or
          Windows, vim or gvim.

          Tools such as Pathogen seem like overkill for the sets of plugins I
          use.  I've added two directories to my 'runtimepath' to help manage
          plugins:  one for the plugins I've created and one for vim-latex.
          All the other plugins contributed by others are in the standard
          places under ~/.vim.

          As others have mentioned, you can use 'guioptions' to turn off
          certain GUI features to save screen space.  I never use scrollbars
          or the tool bar, so I have these settings in my .vimrc:

              set guioptions-=l
              set guioptions-=L
              set guioptions-=r
              set guioptions-=R
              set guioptions-=T

          Regards,
          Gary

          I use vim in either iTerm2 or Terminal on OS X. I wish I could use Ubuntu Mint, but I am on a Mac and have not yet set it up; back when I used to use Mint, I used gedit instead of vim, but if I could use it again I would use vim in Konsole or another teminal-like application. I have never seen the appeal of GVim.

          Also I am beginning to use tmux, and I do use it with vim, but I am new to it and can't really offer any helpful tips there.

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
            On 2012-11-20, David Fishburn wrote:
            > > I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
            > > (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
            > > machines I use.
            >
            > I was also doing that and found SyncToy unbearable slow for such a small set of
            > files. I am wondering if you have encountered similar issues? My Googling
            > showed lots of people complaining.

            I run SyncToy as a Scheduled Task every 15 minutes on my Windows
            machine at work to synchronize the Vim files on that machine with
            those on a Linux machine, also at work, that I don't want to run
            Dropbox on. If it is slow, I don't notice it because it doesn't
            interrupt anything I'm doing.

            > I switched over to using robocopy (or "Robust File Copy", http://
            > technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx). Any *nix boy
            > would love it, it has about a 1000 switches ;)

            I use robocopy to back up that same Windows machine. I do love the
            configurability. However, I need to be able to synchronize in both
            directions between pairs of Vim directories and it wasn't as obvious
            to me how to do that with robocopy as it was with SyncToy.

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
              On 11/19/12 21:53, Heldraug wrote:
              > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
              > which operative system?

              These two go hand-in-hand for me. Most of my time is spent on
              Debian Linux where I use (non-g)vim in an rxvt console or over a ssh
              connection. On Win32 (at work), I primarily use gvim, except when I
              forget to put a message in my svn commits, where I have it open the
              "edit the message" in (non-g)vim.

              I do occasionally use gvim on Linux, mostly when doing
              Unicode-related stuff, as gvim seems to handle it better than the
              vim+console combination.

              > Prefered colorscheme? Reason?

              My own, because it's what I like :-D

              However, it doesn't stray too far from the stock "elflord" scheme on
              which it was based. FWIW, I prefer light-on-dark, and my consoles
              are set up that way too. Perhaps too much time growing up spent
              looking at green-screen Kermit/telnet sessions :-)

              > I don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space,
              > though I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better
              > colorschemes.

              When I run gvim, I run it without most of the GUI chrome (no
              menu-bar or toolbar, though I do let it show the scrollbar) to get
              the most real-estate for my content.

              > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though.
              > I haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.

              I do both tmux and GNU-screen as-needed. I started with "screen",
              but prefer some of the tmux features, so am slowly training my
              fingers to change over.

              -tim

            • John Little
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

                I use gvim, on Kubuntu. I turn off the menu with set go-=T go-=M, I change gui.h to have
                #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8
                ,I use the QtCurve widget style (which has *hundreds* of options) to shave pixels where possible, and use a 7 point font. gvim takes up the same space as vim in konsole, and the scroll bar and pop menu works. (Sometimes I use KDE's window controls to turn off the window title and frame, too. With the scroll bar off, I get four 80 column vim windows across my 1920x1080 monitor.)

                Regards, John

              • John Little
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
                  On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:07:42 PM UTC+13, I wrote:
                  > ... I change gui.h to have
                  > #define SB_DEFAULT_WIDTH 8

                  It's just occurred to me that not many readers will know what that does. It's the scroll bar default width, normally set to 16. Vim's GTK2 code lacks the whatever to pick it up from GTK customization files. Saves 8 pixels, the height of the vim window! (I have colorize_scrollbar = TRUE in one of those files to make it easy to see the "thumb".)

                  Regards, John Little

                • BPJ
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
                    On 2012-11-20 04:53, Heldraug wrote:
                    > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
                    >
                    > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's straightforward to get it up and running.
                    >
                    > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes. I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
                    >
                    > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or GVim?

                    I'm far from an expert, but I use gvim because I use a
                    lot of non-ASCII-non-Latin-1 characters, and above all
                    because of my vision problems. A lot of white space is
                    a necessity and colorful syntax highlighting is a great
                    help for me to read from screen.

                    /bpj