Re: Yankring problem on Debian

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
      On Tue, November 20, 2012 00:32, Paul wrote:
      > I am using exactly the same .vimrc and .vim/ on Slackware and on multiple
      > Debian Squeeze 6.0.6’s, and only on the Debians do I see this behaviour.
      >
      > The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I
      > enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the
      > prompt input.
      >
      > For example, sample text:
      >
      > somemethod(arguments)
      >
      > I place the cursor somewhere before the first parenthesis and type “yt(”.
      > Vim then prompts me with “YR:Enter character:”. I enter “(” again,
      > thinking it somehow missed the first time I pressed it. Vim then thinks
      > this is the actual ‘(’ motion command, and takes me to the beginning of
      > the sentence. The same happens for “dt(”, but not for the commands, such
      > as “vt(”, including the capitalised backwards commands, which all behave
      > as expected, and it’s not just with “(”.
      >
      > On my Slackware setup, both “yt(” and “dt(” behave as expected. They do
      > change the statusline to “YR:Enter character:(”, but it’s just
      > informative, not a prompt.
      >
      > As well as putting “set all&” atop my .vimrc, I’ve recompiled one of the
      > Debian vims a few times, with various features enabled and disabled, to
      > see if a feature is causing it, but I don’t think so, at least, it’s not
      > obvious if one is. My latest feature set that differs on Debian is:
      >
      > –mouse-gpm
      > [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
      > –osfiletype

      Does this also happen with a bare Vim without any plugins loaded?
      Try vim -u NONE -U NONE -N

      It sounds like the problem mentioned here:
      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/4ed40fea6cf5f6b4

      regards,
      Christian

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
        On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 01:36:44 GMT, David Fishburn wrote:
        >What does :ver show from these machines? Which version of YankRing are you using (on all machines)?

        Yankring version 14.0.

        Debian:

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Oct 14 2012 20:20:46)
        Compiled by foo@bar
        Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
        -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
        +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
        -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
        +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
        +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
        +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
        +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
        +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype
        +path_extra -perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile -python
        -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
        -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
        +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
        -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
        +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
        -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
        Compilation:
        gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
        Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lm -lncurses

        Slackware:

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Aug 29 2012 16:49:50)
        Included patches: 1-645
        Compiled by <volkerdi@...>
        Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
        -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
        +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
        -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
        +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
        +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
        +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
        +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
        +mouse_xterm +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
        +netbeans_intg +path_extra +perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile
        +python -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs
        +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
        +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
        -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
        +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
        -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
        Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/local/include -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
        Linking: gcc -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lm -lncurses -lelf -lnsl -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -lperl -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc -L/usr/lib/python2.7/config -lpython2.7 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

        --

        .

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
          On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 06:33:26 GMT, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >Does this also happen with a bare Vim without any plugins loaded?
          >Try vim -u NONE -U NONE -N

          No, it works as expected like that.

          >It sounds like the problem mentioned here:
          >http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/4ed40fea6cf5f6b4

          In my case, I don’t see the behaviour when I remove yankring.

          --

          .

        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
            One of the differences is this:

            Debian
            VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Oct 14 2012 20:20:46)
            Compiled by foo@bar

            Slackware
            VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Aug 29 2012 16:49:50)
            Included patches: 1-645
            Compiled by <volkerdi@...>

            You have 645 Vim patches applied to Slackware and none to Debian.

            Could you try a newer update to 7.3 as an initial test to see if some of the Vim patches address the issue?

            David

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
              On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 13:30:40 GMT, David Fishburn wrote:
              >Could you try a newer update to 7.3 as an initial test to see if some of
              >the Vim patches address the issue?

              I’ve tried compiling the one on vim.org (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.3.tar.bz2). Are there official patches that aren’t in that tarball? The one I pasted was just one of the many attempts I’ve tried on Debian, all from that tarball and with different feature sets. In my original post, I showed what I had narrowed it down to:

              –mouse-gpm
              [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
              –osfiletype

              I’ve just tried with no .vimrc and only yankring in .vim/ — I don’t see the behaviour. It seems something else in my config is causing this. I’ll be Sherlock Holmes tonight!

              --

              .

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                On Monday, 19 November, 2012 at 23:32:02 GMT, Paul wrote:
                >The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.

                This was caused by a “map tt” that I have elsewhere. Changing it to “nnoremap tt” fixes it. I’ve no idea why it happens on Debian and not Slackware…

                Thanks, David and Christian.

                --

                .

              • David Fishburn
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                  On Nov 20, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Paul <google1241@...> wrote:

                  > On Monday, 19 November, 2012 at 23:32:02 GMT, Paul wrote:
                  >> The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.
                  >
                  > This was caused by a “map tt” that I have elsewhere. Changing it to “nnoremap tt” fixes it. I’ve no idea why it happens on Debian and not Slackware…

                  Thanks for the follow up.

                  David