Yankring problem on Debian

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
      I am using exactly the same .vimrc and .vim/ on Slackware and on multiple Debian Squeeze 6.0.6’s, and only on the Debians do I see this behaviour.

      The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.

      For example, sample text:

      somemethod(arguments)

      I place the cursor somewhere before the first parenthesis and type “yt(”. Vim then prompts me with “YR:Enter character:”. I enter “(” again, thinking it somehow missed the first time I pressed it. Vim then thinks this is the actual ‘(’ motion command, and takes me to the beginning of the sentence. The same happens for “dt(”, but not for the commands, such as “vt(”, including the capitalised backwards commands, which all behave as expected, and it’s not just with “(”.

      On my Slackware setup, both “yt(” and “dt(” behave as expected. They do change the statusline to “YR:Enter character:(”, but it’s just informative, not a prompt.

      As well as putting “set all&” atop my .vimrc, I’ve recompiled one of the Debian vims a few times, with various features enabled and disabled, to see if a feature is causing it, but I don’t think so, at least, it’s not obvious if one is. My latest feature set that differs on Debian is:

      –mouse-gpm
      [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
      –osfiletype

      --

      .

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
        On Nov 19, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Paul <google1241@...> wrote:

        > I am using exactly the same .vimrc and .vim/ on Slackware and on multiple Debian Squeeze 6.0.6’s, and only on the Debians do I see this behaviour.
        >
        > The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.
        >
        > For example, sample text:
        >
        > somemethod(arguments)
        >
        > I place the cursor somewhere before the first parenthesis and type “yt(”. Vim then prompts me with “YR:Enter character:”. I enter “(” again, thinking it somehow missed the first time I pressed it. Vim then thinks this is the actual ‘(’ motion command, and takes me to the beginning of the sentence. The same happens for “dt(”, but not for the commands, such as “vt(”, including the capitalised backwards commands, which all behave as expected, and it’s not just with “(”.
        >
        > On my Slackware setup, both “yt(” and “dt(” behave as expected. They do change the statusline to “YR:Enter character:(”, but it’s just informative, not a prompt.
        >
        > As well as putting “set all&” atop my .vimrc, I’ve recompiled one of the Debian vims a few times, with various features enabled and disabled, to see if a feature is causing it, but I don’t think so, at least, it’s not obvious if one is. My latest feature set that differs on Debian is:
        >
        > –mouse-gpm
        > [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
        > –osfiletype

        What does :ver show from these machines? Which version of YankRing are you using (on all machines)?
        --
        David Fishburn

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
          On Tue, November 20, 2012 00:32, Paul wrote:
          > I am using exactly the same .vimrc and .vim/ on Slackware and on multiple
          > Debian Squeeze 6.0.6’s, and only on the Debians do I see this behaviour.
          >
          > The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I
          > enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the
          > prompt input.
          >
          > For example, sample text:
          >
          > somemethod(arguments)
          >
          > I place the cursor somewhere before the first parenthesis and type “yt(”.
          > Vim then prompts me with “YR:Enter character:”. I enter “(” again,
          > thinking it somehow missed the first time I pressed it. Vim then thinks
          > this is the actual ‘(’ motion command, and takes me to the beginning of
          > the sentence. The same happens for “dt(”, but not for the commands, such
          > as “vt(”, including the capitalised backwards commands, which all behave
          > as expected, and it’s not just with “(”.
          >
          > On my Slackware setup, both “yt(” and “dt(” behave as expected. They do
          > change the statusline to “YR:Enter character:(”, but it’s just
          > informative, not a prompt.
          >
          > As well as putting “set all&” atop my .vimrc, I’ve recompiled one of the
          > Debian vims a few times, with various features enabled and disabled, to
          > see if a feature is causing it, but I don’t think so, at least, it’s not
          > obvious if one is. My latest feature set that differs on Debian is:
          >
          > –mouse-gpm
          > [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
          > –osfiletype

          Does this also happen with a bare Vim without any plugins loaded?
          Try vim -u NONE -U NONE -N

          It sounds like the problem mentioned here:
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/4ed40fea6cf5f6b4

          regards,
          Christian

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
            On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 01:36:44 GMT, David Fishburn wrote:
            >What does :ver show from these machines? Which version of YankRing are you using (on all machines)?

            Yankring version 14.0.

            Debian:

            VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Oct 14 2012 20:20:46)
            Compiled by foo@bar
            Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
            -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
            +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
            -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
            +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
            +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
            +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
            +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
            +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype
            +path_extra -perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile -python
            -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
            -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
            +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
            -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
            +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
            -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
            system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
            user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
            user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
            fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
            Compilation:
            gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
            Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lm -lncurses

            Slackware:

            VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Aug 29 2012 16:49:50)
            Included patches: 1-645
            Compiled by <volkerdi@...>
            Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
            -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
            +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
            -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
            +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
            +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
            +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
            +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
            +mouse_xterm +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
            +netbeans_intg +path_extra +perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile
            +python -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs
            +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
            +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
            -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
            +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
            -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
            system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
            user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
            user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
            fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
            Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/local/include -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
            Linking: gcc -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lm -lncurses -lelf -lnsl -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/perl5/CORE -lperl -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc -L/usr/lib/python2.7/config -lpython2.7 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

            --

            .

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
              On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 06:33:26 GMT, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >Does this also happen with a bare Vim without any plugins loaded?
              >Try vim -u NONE -U NONE -N

              No, it works as expected like that.

              >It sounds like the problem mentioned here:
              >http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/4ed40fea6cf5f6b4

              In my case, I don’t see the behaviour when I remove yankring.

              --

              .

            • David Fishburn
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                One of the differences is this:

                Debian
                VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Oct 14 2012 20:20:46)
                Compiled by foo@bar

                Slackware
                VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Aug 29 2012 16:49:50)
                Included patches: 1-645
                Compiled by <volkerdi@...>

                You have 645 Vim patches applied to Slackware and none to Debian.

                Could you try a newer update to 7.3 as an initial test to see if some of the Vim patches address the issue?

                David

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                  On Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 at 13:30:40 GMT, David Fishburn wrote:
                  >Could you try a newer update to 7.3 as an initial test to see if some of
                  >the Vim patches address the issue?

                  I’ve tried compiling the one on vim.org (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.3.tar.bz2). Are there official patches that aren’t in that tarball? The one I pasted was just one of the many attempts I’ve tried on Debian, all from that tarball and with different feature sets. In my original post, I showed what I had narrowed it down to:

                  –mouse-gpm
                  [no +mouse_urxvt +mouse_sgr]
                  –osfiletype

                  I’ve just tried with no .vimrc and only yankring in .vim/ — I don’t see the behaviour. It seems something else in my config is causing this. I’ll be Sherlock Holmes tonight!

                  --

                  .

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                    On Monday, 19 November, 2012 at 23:32:02 GMT, Paul wrote:
                    >The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.

                    This was caused by a “map tt” that I have elsewhere. Changing it to “nnoremap tt” fixes it. I’ve no idea why it happens on Debian and not Slackware…

                    Thanks, David and Christian.

                    --

                    .

                  • David Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                      On Nov 20, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Paul <google1241@...> wrote:

                      > On Monday, 19 November, 2012 at 23:32:02 GMT, Paul wrote:
                      >> The “yt” and “vt” commands prompt me for the next character, but when I enter it, it appears I’m actually entering it in normal mode, not as the prompt input.
                      >
                      > This was caused by a “map tt” that I have elsewhere. Changing it to “nnoremap tt” fixes it. I’ve no idea why it happens on Debian and not Slackware…

                      Thanks for the follow up.

                      David