Re: Subdirectories for help files

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2012
      Marco wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have plenty of help files in my .vim/doc directory. I'd like to
      > structure it a little more. Apparently simply placing the files in
      > subdirectories is not sufficient. The help tags can not be found. Is
      > there a way to either
      >
      > * add the paths of the subdirectories to the help tags or
      > * create one tag file per directory and tell vim to find those tag
      > files as well?
      >
      > I don't know what's the better approach. The :helptags help is very
      > scarce about this topic.

      There's a new patch out that allows subdirectories in help. Actually,
      its not a limitation of the help or tags, but rather of the :helptags
      command.
      Admittedly experimental. Probably won't work with vms (although I don't
      think it'll do anything adverse with vms).

      The patch is at http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HELPTAGS .

      Regards,
      C Campbell

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012
        Charles Campbell wrote:
        > Marco wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I have plenty of help files in my .vim/doc directory. I'd like to
        >> structure it a little more. Apparently simply placing the files in
        >> subdirectories is not sufficient. The help tags can not be found. Is
        >> there a way to either
        >>
        >> * add the paths of the subdirectories to the help tags or
        >> * create one tag file per directory and tell vim to find those tag
        >> files as well?
        >>
        >> I don't know what's the better approach. The :helptags help is very
        >> scarce about this topic.
        >>
        > There's a new patch out that allows subdirectories in help. Actually,
        > its not a limitation of the help or tags, but rather of the :helptags
        > command.
        > Admittedly experimental. Probably won't work with vms (although I
        > don't think it'll do anything adverse with vms).
        >
        > The patch is at http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HELPTAGS .
        Bram has accepted my patch into vim (7.3.734). So, enjoy!

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • Marco
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
          2012-11-19 Charles Campbell:

          Hi Charles

          > There's a new patch out that allows subdirectories in help. Actually,
          > its not a limitation of the help or tags, but rather of the :helptags
          > command.

          I'm sorry to get back so late on this. I just compiled my new vim
          and it seems to work fine.

          > Admittedly experimental.

          I did a few tests and it seems to work.

          > The patch is at http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HELPTAGS .

          Thanks a lot for looking into this and taking the time to write a
          patch that solves my issue.

          Marco