Re: Rewrapping long lined email quotes

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
      On Monday, November 19, 2012 1:32:44 AM UTC-6, Chris Lott wrote:
      > I'm trying to take email that has quotes with long lines:
      >

      > > a really long line here that wraps that has no wraps in it and drives
      >
      > me crazy
      >

      > and format them to:
      >

      > > a really long line here that wraps that has
      >
      > > no wraps in it and drives me crazy
      >

      > I've tried the tip(s) at:
      >
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_email_quotations_with_long_lines
      >

      > but I just end up with:
      >

      > > a really long line here that wraps that has
      >
      > no wraps in it and drives me crazy
      >

      > (note the lack of a > on the second line).
      >

      > This seems like it should be easy, but I am just not making it happen. Help?

      Probably all you're missing is:

      :set filetype=mail

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
        On Monday, November 19, 2012 2:55:37 AM UTC-6, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > On Mon, November 19, 2012 08:32, Chris Lott wrote:
        > >
        > > I've tried the tip(s) at:
        > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_email_quotations_with_long_lines
        > >

        > Oh and forget that tip about ':set editor=vim -c...' this is just
        > plain wrong. The correct approach would make use of filetype plugins
        > where you can customize all needed options.

        I've cleaned up the tip page. How's it look now? Feel free to redo any of it, but I think it's more accurate and helpful now.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          On Mon, November 19, 2012 16:21, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Monday, November 19, 2012 2:55:37 AM UTC-6, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >> On Mon, November 19, 2012 08:32, Chris Lott wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I've tried the tip(s) at:
          >> > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_email_quotations_with_long_lines
          >> >

          >> Oh and forget that tip about ':set editor=vim -c...' this is just
          >> plain wrong. The correct approach would make use of filetype plugins
          >> where you can customize all needed options.
          >>

          > I've cleaned up the tip page. How's it look now? Feel free to redo any of
          > it, but I think it's more accurate and helpful now.

          Thanks, good work. I cleaned it up even more and added some more
          information regarding how to use the mail.vim filetype.

          regards,
          Christian