Re: New line not recognized

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
      On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:

      > A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
      >
      > did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
      >
      > when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.

      The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

    • stosss
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
        On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        > On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:
        >>

        >> A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
        >>
        >> did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
        >>
        >> when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.
        >
        > The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

        Okay :-) thanks. I didn't realize that happens a lot with the "^M".
        They showed up again in a file last night but not the continuous
        single line. Then they were gone without me doing anything. I have
        never actually seen them when opening the actual file. Only when doing
        a shell command that out puts to the screen. Like grep, cat, head,
        tail etc. I have also never seen them in a file created when using a
        redirect away from the screen.