Re: New line not recognized

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
      On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      > Hi Tony!
      >
      > On Sa, 17 Nov 2012, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> Depending on how the logging is done, in the case I mentioned there
      >> could very well be quite a lot of <CR>s before the first <NL>, and,
      >> let's say, something like fifty <CR>s before the fifth <NL>.
      >
      > It is more likely, the file is really in MAC format rather than some
      > obscure logfile.

      Just adding a comment.

      A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
      did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
      when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell. So
      it must be possible to create that condition on Linux but I have no
      idea how it happened but the files are no longer showing that
      condition.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
        On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:

        > A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
        >
        > did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
        >
        > when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.

        The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

      • stosss
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
          On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          > On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:
          >>

          >> A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
          >>
          >> did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
          >>
          >> when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.
          >
          > The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

          Okay :-) thanks. I didn't realize that happens a lot with the "^M".
          They showed up again in a file last night but not the continuous
          single line. Then they were gone without me doing anything. I have
          never actually seen them when opening the actual file. Only when doing
          a shell command that out puts to the screen. Like grep, cat, head,
          tail etc. I have also never seen them in a file created when using a
          redirect away from the screen.