capture to file output of :set all?

  • Erik
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2012
      I'm trying to troubleshoot why vim is behaving differently on different systems, and it would be really handy if i could dump all the settings to a text file for comparison. What's the recommended way of doing that? Or, alternatively, how can i see these settings from the command prompt without invoking vi?

      Thanks,
      e.l.

    • Salman Halim
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2012
        On Saturday, November 17, 2012, Erik wrote:
        I'm trying to troubleshoot why vim is behaving differently on different systems, and it would be really handy if i could dump all the settings to a text file for comparison. What's the recommended way of doing that? Or, alternatively, how can i see these settings from the command prompt without invoking vi?

        Thanks,
        e.l.

        :help :redir

        You can redirect output of all subsequent commands into a file, variable or register.

        Don't forget :redir END at the end to turn it off.

        Salman

        --
        سلمان حلیم

      • Erik
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2012
          Thanks, but:
          :help :redir
          E433: No tags file
          E149: Sorry, no help for :redir

          # yum install vim-common

          :help :redir
          E434: Can't find tag pattern

          Found help here:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Capture_ex_command_output

          Then got:
          E475: Invalid argument: @a

          Tried the alternate route in the Comments of the article but ultimately did not get the desired result in any discernible form. There was output about line counts but that was all.

          Perhaps my shell/vi environment has been cocked up in some obscure way? I wouldn't rule that out.
          If not, I believe this has departed significantly from the realm of "easy to do".

          Not fun, but much quicker to do several mouse sweeps and copies and pastes from the terminal window. Result achieved. Moving on.

          On Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:35:17 PM UTC-8, Salman Halim wrote:
          > :help :redir
          >

          > You can redirect output of all subsequent commands into a file, variable or register.
          >

          > Don't forget :redir END at the end to turn it off.
          >

          > Salman
          >
          > --
          >

          > سلمان حلیم

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2012
            Erik wrote:
            > Thanks, but:
            > :help :redir
            > E433: No tags file
            > E149: Sorry, no help for :redir

            If your help was working, you could use:
            :help :helptags
            to see:
            To rebuild the help tags in the runtime directory
            (requires write permission there):
            :helptags $VIMRUNTIME/doc

            > Found help here:
            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Capture_ex_command_output
            >
            > Then got:
            > E475: Invalid argument: @a

            If the following (from the tip) fails, I guess your Vim is
            broken:
            :redir @a
            :set all
            :redir END

            What does :version show (just the version number and patches
            would be a start)?

            John

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2012
              On Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:22:06 PM UTC-6, Erik wrote:
              > I'm trying to troubleshoot why vim is behaving differently on different systems, and it would be really handy if i could dump all the settings to a text file for comparison. What's the recommended way of doing that? Or, alternatively, how can i see these settings from the command prompt without invoking vi?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > e.l.

              In addition to suggestions in getting :redir working, you may get something of value from the :mkvimrc command.

            • Erik
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
                This is quite bizarre. Seems like pretty much any command I enter (including :mkvimrc) does nothing. Instead of getting output or the intended effect on the text, the command just stays visible. I did have a .vimrc file with some settings; removed it for troubleshooting but it made no difference. What setting might disable the execution of commands? This is happening on CentOS 5.4 and CentOS 6.3; i have a BSD system and an Ubuntu system where it is not happening and the same commands execute fine.

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
                  On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:30:41 PM UTC-6, Erik wrote:
                  > This is quite bizarre. Seems like pretty much any command I enter (including :mkvimrc) does nothing. Instead of getting output or the intended effect on the text, the command just stays visible. I did have a .vimrc file with some settings; removed it for troubleshooting but it made no difference. What setting might disable the execution of commands? This is happening on CentOS 5.4 and CentOS 6.3; i have a BSD system and an Ubuntu system where it is not happening and the same commands execute fine.

                  No setting will do this. You probably have a tiny Vim. Or a different program that is not Vim at all. As John asked, what is the output of your :version command? Version number and patches and feature set (HUGE/BIG/NORMAL/SMALL/TINY) should do it.