Re: New line not recognized

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
      Hi Tony!

      On Sa, 17 Nov 2012, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > Depending on how the logging is done, in the case I mentioned there
      > could very well be quite a lot of <CR>s before the first <NL>, and,
      > let's say, something like fifty <CR>s before the fifth <NL>.

      It is more likely, the file is really in MAC format rather than some
      obscure logfile.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Es gibt problematische Naturen, die keiner Lage gewachsen sind,
      in der sie sich befinden, und denen keine genugtut. Daraus entsteht

    • stosss
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
        On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > Hi Tony!
        >
        > On Sa, 17 Nov 2012, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        >
        >> Depending on how the logging is done, in the case I mentioned there
        >> could very well be quite a lot of <CR>s before the first <NL>, and,
        >> let's say, something like fifty <CR>s before the fifth <NL>.
        >
        > It is more likely, the file is really in MAC format rather than some
        > obscure logfile.

        Just adding a comment.

        A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
        did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
        when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell. So
        it must be possible to create that condition on Linux but I have no
        idea how it happened but the files are no longer showing that
        condition.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
          On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:

          > A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
          >
          > did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
          >
          > when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.

          The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

        • stosss
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
            On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            > On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46:01 PM UTC-6, stosss wrote:
            >>

            >> A couple weeks ago I had 4 files that I created on my Linux system and
            >>
            >> did not move them or share them and some how they were showing a ^M
            >>
            >> when I was doing a grep and sed search and replace from the shell.
            >
            > The problem wasn't "showing a ^M", that's pretty common. The problem was that EVERY line was terminated ONLY by a ^M and there were NO linefeed characters in the file at all, so the file was showing as one long line with a bunch of ^M characters.

            Okay :-) thanks. I didn't realize that happens a lot with the "^M".
            They showed up again in a file last night but not the continuous
            single line. Then they were gone without me doing anything. I have
            never actually seen them when opening the actual file. Only when doing
            a shell command that out puts to the screen. Like grep, cat, head,
            tail etc. I have also never seen them in a file created when using a
            redirect away from the screen.