Write issue to a server 2008 R2 share

  • Barry Smithers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2012

      Some initial details:
      gvim version: 7.2
      PC OS: XP
      Server OS: 2008 R2

      We recently upgraded our server operating system from 2003 SBS to 2008 R2 Enterprise. Since that happened, I've had problems with writing files to the server. If I vi a file and write the file, it's fine. If I then subsequently write that file (or modify and write an existing file) I get an "E212: Can't open file for writing" error message. It then changes the original file to have the read only attribute. I can force write (:w!), and if I always do that it doesn't set read only.

      I've done some testing, and it is occuring on any XP machine in the office, and does not affect Windows 7. I can look at the swap file that's created, and that's read only. It looks like the swap file is created using the computer credentials, as opposed to my windows account credentials.

      Hopefully someone has some thoughts on a work around to my problem. Perhaps there's a way of telling :w to automatically force, or something?

      Thanks

      Barry