Re: Encoding to utf-8 changes umlaut in status line

  • J S
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
      Tony,
      thanks for your tips. Your suggestion led me to this answer: http://superuser.com/questions/207264/gvim-utf-8-in-windows which resolved my issues.
      J.

      2012/11/13 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
      On 12/11/12 22:47, J S wrote:
      Thanks Ben,
      the encoding setting is the first thing in my vimrc. For testing
      purposes I only had that line in a testrc file. The character
      representation is still wrong.

      Besides, I think I am not talking about the 'real' statusline since
      playing with the "set statusline" command changes the line above the one
      I was talking about. I guess the line I am talking about isn't even
      called statusline. What I mean is the line giving the status on commands
      (e.g. "wote xyz lines to file" on a :w) so I thought it is eponymous.
      Maybe it's called command line instead?
      J.

      Maybe Vim doesn't know in which language you want your messages displayed. In Console mode, there is a 'termencoding' option which tells Vim in which encoding it should communicate with the terminal. The default for that option is empty, which means "use 'encoding'", but if you change 'encoding' the OS won't know it and from then on Vim and the display (and keyboard) will be talking at cross-purposes. Another possibility is the locale (see :help :lang).

      So:

      if has('multi_lang')    " if it doesn't, there is no :lang command
              if has('unix') || has('mac')
                      " Vim musst weißen, dass wir Berichten
                      " auf Deutsch, und in UTF-8, wünschen zu sehen.
                      lang de_DE.UTF-8
              else
                      " I hope the following is correct for Windows
                      " please check and, if necessary, use trial-and-error
                      lang German_Germany.10646
              endif
      endif
      if has('multi_byte')    " if it doesn't, no 'encoding' etc.
              if &enc !~? '^u' " if it is not already Unicode
                      if &tenc == ""
                              " don't clobber keyboard/display settings
                              " keep the old 'encoding' value
                              " for console I/O
                              let &tenc = &enc
                      endif
                      set enc=utf-8   " now we may change it
              endif
              set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
      endif

      Misery loves company, but company does not reciprocate.

      --
      http://dynamic.xkcd.com/random/comic/