Re: Help doc observation

  • Alick Zhao
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
      On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:53:07 -0400, stosss wrote:
      > I decided to go through the the help doc again to learn some more and
      > see what I have over looked.
      >
      > In:
      >
      > *27.4* Matching multiple times
      >
      > To match an optional item, use "\=". Example: >
      >
      > /folders\=
      >
      > Matches "folder" and "folders".
      >
      > I don't find anything about using \? which does the same thing as \=
      >
      > Just curious.

      If you type :help /\? you will find the its doc in the file
      pattern.txt.gz :) Also at the top of usr_27.txt says:

      [...] A detailed specification can be found here: |pattern|

      --
      alick
      Fedora 16 (Verne) user

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
        On Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:53:31 PM UTC+13, stosss wrote:

        > I don't find anything about using \? which does the same thing as \=

        :-? Type

        :help \?

        and go straight to it. Says 'Cannot be used when searching backwards with the "?" command', perhaps explains why \= exists.

        Regards, John

      • stosss
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
          On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:24 AM, John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:
          > On Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:53:31 PM UTC+13, stosss wrote:
          >
          >> I don't find anything about using \? which does the same thing as \=
          >
          > :-? Type
          >
          > :help \?
          >
          > and go straight to it. Says 'Cannot be used when searching backwards with the "?" command', perhaps explains why \= exists.

          Good point.