Re: What do I need to read to understand g: and s: VIM variable prefixes?

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
      On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:02:30 PM UTC-5, dotancohen wrote:

      > Exactly. However, there is no flow control outside of main(), so I
      > don't account for variables declared outside of main(). If someone is
      > declaring a variable in an area of the program with no flow control,
      > then they are explicitly declaring their intentions that the variable
      > will be global. In other words, it is not a surprise or a gotcha when
      > the variable is available in a different scope.

      If somebody declares a variable with a g: prefix in Vim, they are explicitly declaring their intentions that the variable will be global. In other words, it is not a surprise or gotcha when the variable is available in a different scope. Am I misunderstanding your complaint?

    • Dotan Cohen
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
        On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        > In Vimscript, an interpreted language, there are no "declarations": any
        > command needs to be "executed" in order to have an effect. It is when flow
        > control goes through the :au, :map, :abbrev, :function or :command command,
        > for instance, that the autocommand, mapping, abbreviation, function
        > definition or user-command definition are stored in interpreter memory;
        > before that, Vim doesn't "know" anything about them. Similarly, the type of
        > a variable is set by the latest :let command affecting that variable, you
        > cannot "declare" a variable except by giving that variable a value (possibly
        > an empty value such as "", [] or {}).

        I realize that. I just stated that Vimscript is different than other
        environments that I am familiar with, and that it was good of you to
        point out an important difference.

        --
        Dotan Cohen

        http://gibberish.co.il
        http://what-is-what.com

      • Dotan Cohen
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
          On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          > If somebody declares a variable with a g: prefix in Vim, they are explicitly declaring their intentions that the variable will be global. In other words, it is not a surprise or gotcha when the variable is available in a different scope. Am I misunderstanding your complaint?

          I have no complaint. I just mentioned that Vimscript differs from
          other environments.

          --
          Dotan Cohen

          http://gibberish.co.il