Re: Strange issue with Pathogen

  • Martin Braun
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 10/31/2012 02:47 PM, Some Developer wrote:
      > I'm having a strange issue with Pathogen. I'm trying to keep my Vim
      > configuration and plugins organised as I need to use it on several
      > computers so I decided to create a git repo for it.
      >
      > The following is my .vim folder structure:
      >
      > autoload
      > bundle
      > vimrc_config
      >
      > When I symlink ~/.vimrc to ~/.vim/vimrc_config Pathogen does not load
      > any plugins at all. When I copy ~/.vim/vimrc_config to ~/.vimrc on the
      > other hand it works perfectly.

      This is exactly how I handle the vimrc/pathogen problem, and it works
      fine for me.
      Have you checked the permissions for vimrc?

    • Alejandro Exojo
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
        El Miércoles, 31 de octubre de 2012, Some Developer escribió:
        > It would be nice if I could fix this issue as that would make it nice
        > and easy to distribute the full config in the Git repo and I would only
        > need to maintain one copy of the file. Since I need to copy the file to
        > make it work if I want to make a change to the file I need to change
        > both which is highly annoying and is error prone.

        Of course this is possible and is what many people already does:

        http://vimcasts.org/e/27/

        > Does anyone have any ideas at all?

        I am doing what you say. Both my .vimrc and my .vim are symbolic links, and
        everything works as expected. You must be doing something else wrong.

        You don't mention what OS are you using, but the user agent of your mail
        program says is Windows. Are you using Cygwin?

        --
        Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

      • Some Developer
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
          On 02/11/2012 08:35, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
          > El Miércoles, 31 de octubre de 2012, Some Developer escribió:
          >> It would be nice if I could fix this issue as that would make it nice
          >> and easy to distribute the full config in the Git repo and I would only
          >> need to maintain one copy of the file. Since I need to copy the file to
          >> make it work if I want to make a change to the file I need to change
          >> both which is highly annoying and is error prone.
          > Of course this is possible and is what many people already does:
          >
          > http://vimcasts.org/e/27/
          >
          >> Does anyone have any ideas at all?
          > I am doing what you say. Both my .vimrc and my .vim are symbolic links, and
          > everything works as expected. You must be doing something else wrong.
          >
          > You don't mention what OS are you using, but the user agent of your mail
          > program says is Windows. Are you using Cygwin?

          I'm using Lubuntu. Probably should have stated that in my original post.

          I'll give you the steps I take to get to the stage above:

          cd ~
          rm -rf .vim*
          rm .gvimrc
          git clone <REPO_URL> .vim
          cd .vim
          git submodule init
          git submodule update
          ln -s ~/.vimrc ~/.vim/vimrc_config

          pretty much all there is to it.

        • Some Developer
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
            On 02/11/2012 19:18, Some Developer wrote:
            > ln -s ~/.vimrc ~/.vim/vimrc_config

            Whoops. Typo.

            ln -s ~/.vim/vimrc_config ~/.vimrc

          • Alejandro Exojo
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2012
              El Viernes, 2 de noviembre de 2012, Some Developer escribió:
              > I'll give you the steps I take to get to the stage above:
              >
              > cd ~
              > rm -rf .vim*
              > rm .gvimrc
              > git clone <REPO_URL> .vim
              > cd .vim
              > git submodule init
              > git submodule update
              > ln -s ~/.vimrc ~/.vim/vimrc_config
              >
              > pretty much all there is to it.

              Are you calling pathogen#infect with the proper directory to initialize
              everything?

              If you want, give a look to how I am doing it:

              https://github.com/suy/configs

              --
              Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2