Map Command key to Control on OS X

  • Heldraug
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2012
      Here's the deal: I use a lot a Macbook to code, problem is, it only has a small Control key on the left side, so it's kind of uncomfortable to use, particularly when using keys that have to be typed with the left hand. There are two Command keys, though. I looked around but I couldn't find an answer to this. Is there a way to map the Command key to Control, so I can use it as a Control key? Has anyone done this?

    • Tim Gray
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2012
        On Oct 30, 2012 at 08:10 AM -0700, Heldraug wrote:
        >Here's the deal: I use a lot a Macbook to code, problem is, it only has
        >a small Control key on the left side, so it's kind of uncomfortable to
        >use, particularly when using keys that have to be typed with the left
        >hand. There are two Command keys, though. I looked around but I
        >couldn't find an answer to this. Is there a way to map the Command key
        >to Control, so I can use it as a Control key? Has anyone done this?

        No I haven't done that. However, what I have done is to swap the caps
        lock key and the left control key. You can probably the command key as
        well, but I'm not sure if OS X lets you change just one of the command
        keys and not the other. I use the built in capability on 10.7. It's
        probably available in other versions of OS X, but I can't verify that at
        the moment. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard, select the Keyboard
        tab and then hit the Modifier Keys... button. There are other apps out
        there that let you remap things in fancier ways, but for simple modifier
        key remapping, this works for me.

      • Heldraug
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
          On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:29:24 AM UTC-6, Tim Gray wrote:
          > On Oct 30, 2012 at 08:10 AM -0700, Heldraug wrote:
          >
          > >Here's the deal: I use a lot a Macbook to code, problem is, it only has
          >
          > >a small Control key on the left side, so it's kind of uncomfortable to
          >
          > >use, particularly when using keys that have to be typed with the left
          >
          > >hand. There are two Command keys, though. I looked around but I
          >
          > >couldn't find an answer to this. Is there a way to map the Command key
          >
          > >to Control, so I can use it as a Control key? Has anyone done this?
          >

          > No I haven't done that. However, what I have done is to swap the caps
          >
          > lock key and the left control key. You can probably the command key as
          >
          > well, but I'm not sure if OS X lets you change just one of the command
          >
          > keys and not the other. I use the built in capability on 10.7. It's
          >
          > probably available in other versions of OS X, but I can't verify that at
          >
          > the moment. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard, select the Keyboard
          >
          > tab and then hit the Modifier Keys... button. There are other apps out
          >
          > there that let you remap things in fancier ways, but for simple modifier
          >
          > key remapping, this works for me.

          That works, problem is, it remaps completely the Command key system wide. What I'm looking for is to map the Cmd key only within Vim.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
            On 31/10/12 16:48, Heldraug wrote:
            > On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:29:24 AM UTC-6, Tim Gray wrote:
            >> On Oct 30, 2012 at 08:10 AM -0700, Heldraug wrote:
            >>
            >>> Here's the deal: I use a lot a Macbook to code, problem is, it only has
            >>
            >>> a small Control key on the left side, so it's kind of uncomfortable to
            >>
            >>> use, particularly when using keys that have to be typed with the left
            >>
            >>> hand. There are two Command keys, though. I looked around but I
            >>
            >>> couldn't find an answer to this. Is there a way to map the Command key
            >>
            >>> to Control, so I can use it as a Control key? Has anyone done this?
            >>

            >> No I haven't done that. However, what I have done is to swap the caps
            >>
            >> lock key and the left control key. You can probably the command key as
            >>
            >> well, but I'm not sure if OS X lets you change just one of the command
            >>
            >> keys and not the other. I use the built in capability on 10.7. It's
            >>
            >> probably available in other versions of OS X, but I can't verify that at
            >>
            >> the moment. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard, select the Keyboard
            >>
            >> tab and then hit the Modifier Keys... button. There are other apps out
            >>
            >> there that let you remap things in fancier ways, but for simple modifier
            >>
            >> key remapping, this works for me.
            >
            > That works, problem is, it remaps completely the Command key system wide. What I'm looking for is to map the Cmd key only within Vim.

            The problem with that is that Cmd and Ctrl are modifier keys, Vim
            doesn't see them separately but only together to whatever letter or
            function key you pressed together with them.

            A possible but ugly solution would be

            noremap <C-A> <D-A>
            noremap! <C-A> <D-A>
            noremap <D-A> <C-A>
            noremap! <D-A> <C-A>
            noremap <C-B> <D-B>
            noremap! <C-B> <D-B>
            noremap <D-B> <C-B>
            noremap! <D-B> <C-B>
            etc.

            There are, however, IIRC, a hundred or so keys on the keyboard. Let's
            see… four statements as above for each of them, plus four other ones to
            swap Ctrl-Alt-<key> with Cmd-Alt-<key>, that's eight, plus eight more to
            swap Ctrl-Shift- and Ctrl-Alt-Shift- with Cmd-Shift- and Cmd-Alt-Shift-…
            That's something like sixteen hundred mappings just for swapping those
            two keys… You could of course define a keymap: see
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap but keymaps work only in
            Insert and Command-line mones, and is the game worth the candle?

            If someone knows an easier way to do it "just for Vim"… or is it
            possible to change the system keyboard preferences just for one application?

            "It's Fabulous! We haven't seen anything like it in the last half an
            hour!"
            -- Macy's

          • Alexandre Provencio
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
              As I've never owned a Mac so I can't give you setup details, but I've
              heard that some people are setting their ITerm's Cmd to send Ctrl, and
              also about the use of softwares like keyremap4macbook, keymando, etc
              which might also help you with that.
              -Alexandre