V-Block Multi-line insert

  • Marc Jessome
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2012
      Hello,

      It is possible to do a visual block insert into multiple lines, through
      <C-v>, select a column spanning the lines you want to edit, then
      pressing 'I'. I use this fairly often, but it doesn't seem to work with
      deletion.

      Example being: <C-v>jjI<Del><Del><Esc>
      Which doesn't delete two characters from each line.

      Is there any way to get this working with deletes?

      I am also curious if it is possible to do a selection that skips lines
      so that I could, say, insert the letter 'a' at the beginning of lines
      10-15, 18 and 20.

      Thanks
      Marc

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2012
        On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:59:13 AM UTC-5, Marc Jessome wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > It is possible to do a visual block insert into multiple lines, through
        >
        > <C-v>, select a column spanning the lines you want to edit, then
        >
        > pressing 'I'. I use this fairly often, but it doesn't seem to work with
        >
        > deletion.
        >

        > Example being: <C-v>jjI<Del><Del><Esc>
        >
        > Which doesn't delete two characters from each line.
        >
        > Is there any way to get this working with deletes?

        Sure, just don't use I:
        <C-v>jjlld

        > I am also curious if it is possible to do a selection that skips lines
        >
        > so that I could, say, insert the letter 'a' at the beginning of lines
        >
        > 10-15, 18 and 20.

        Nope.

        But there plugins. Here's a couple, there are probably more:

        https://github.com/felixr/vim-multiedit

      • Marc Jessome
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2012
          On 03/10/12 11:18 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:59:13 AM UTC-5, Marc Jessome wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>

          >> It is possible to do a visual block insert into multiple lines, through
          >>
          >> <C-v>, select a column spanning the lines you want to edit, then
          >>
          >> pressing 'I'. I use this fairly often, but it doesn't seem to work with
          >>
          >> deletion.
          >>

          >> Example being:<C-v>jjI<Del><Del><Esc>
          >>
          >> Which doesn't delete two characters from each line.
          >>
          >> Is there any way to get this working with deletes?
          >>

          > Sure, just don't use I:
          > <C-v>jjlld

          Of course, not sure why I was over-complicating things here.

          >> I am also curious if it is possible to do a selection that skips lines
          >>
          >> so that I could, say, insert the letter 'a' at the beginning of lines
          >>
          >> 10-15, 18 and 20.
          >>

          > Nope.
          >
          > But there plugins. Here's a couple, there are probably more:

          > https://github.com/felixr/vim-multiedit

          Will give these a shot, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

          Thanks,
          Marc