Re: Windows installer - silent mode

  • geoffrey.wood@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2012
      On Wednesday, 28 March 2012 13:23:48 UTC+1, Michael Smith wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > From what I understand, the Windows installer (gvim73_46.exe) is built
      > using NSIS, and NSIS supports a "/S" flag to enable unattended installation.
      >
      > It works, except that it still pops up a confirmation dialog at the
      > start: "This will install Vim 7.3 on your computer. Continue?"
      >
      > Is there a way to suppress that dialog? I don't think it's needed even
      > for regular (not silent) installs, as the next screen in regular mode is
      > a license acceptance screen that makes it pretty clear you're going to
      > be installing Vim.
      >
      > The NSIS MessageBox supports an "/SD" option (example here:
      > http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Embedding_other_installers). Unfortunately,
      > this is something that has to be baked into the gvim.nsi - it can't be
      > changed from the command-line.
      >
      > I'm trying to deploy Vim through Puppet running as a service, so the
      > confirmation dialog doesn't get shown and the installer hangs.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mike

      I had a similar problem - in my case just push Vim install
      files along with a batch file out to my Windows servers, the
      user then runs the batch file and it installs Vim silently.
      Probably too late for the OP but I thought I'd record my
      solution.

      Possibly the Vim without Cream install could do silent
      install? I didn't want the default options there so I
      didn't try it. (Some threads on the Cream website say they
      haven't managed to make silent install with options work
      properly for some NSIS-related reasons so you'd be stuck
      with the defaults.)

      I did find this promising looking link
      https://github.com/gpwen/vim-installer-mui2/wiki/feature but
      I'm not sure which Vim install packages it applies to, if
      any. Didn't spend a great deal of time on it.

      Anyway what I ended up doing was not using the install
      packages, instead I downloaded the file packages from the
      www.vim.org website then used the command line install tool
      provided.

      To be precise I got these files and unzipped them to form
      the directory tree vim\vim73.

      gvim73_46.zip
      vim73_46rt.zip
      vim73_46w32.zip

      I then added vim\vimruntime with the config files I wanted.
      (I also had to add diff.exe into vim\vim73 since they didn't
      seem to come with it. I just used diff.exe from another
      install.)

      I then zipped it all up again and deploy that zip
      file out onto my servers along with a batch file. The batch
      file unzips the files to make C:\Program Files (x86)\vim\
      with vim73 and vimruntime sub-directories, then runs this
      command to do the installing (all one line):

      call install.exe -install-popup -install-openwith -create-batfiles vim gvim evim view gview vimdiff gvimdiff

      regards,
      Geoff