Re: OT: The so called "steep learning curve" of vim...

  • Steve Litt
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2012
      On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:04:15 -0700, Charlie Kester said:
      > On 10/01/2012 12:48 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
      > > On 10/01/12 14:17, Boyko Bantchev wrote:
      > >> In my personal opinion, saying that "Vim's learning curve is steep"
      > >> is nothing but a gross exaggeration. Why should it be? Are Vim's
      > >> potential users computer illiterates, incapable of adapting to
      > >> simple albeit new concepts?
      > >
      > > I'm pretty sure it stems on how productive one can be when
      > > confronted with the editor without any previous experience.
      > >
      > > A newbie user can approach Nano and see the "these are the things
      > > you can do" at the bottom, as well as how to obtain help; or Notepad
      > > and see that it offers the standard File/Edit/Help menu options to
      > > click on. In both, typing does exactly what is expected: it enters
      > > text.
      > >

      > But the thing is, for the kind of users vim is aimed at, a text
      > editor isn't the kind of tool that is used so infrequently that the
      > user is always stuck at the newbie stage.

      This is true, but it doesn't mean that saying Vim's learning curve is
      steep is a gross exaggeration. The fact is, that for X amount of time,
      the Vim newbie will be helpless with Vim. That's not true of Notepad or
      GEdit.

      > I think there's a place for "user-friendly" or "intuitively obvious"
      > applications, but it's for things that you don't use every day and
      > therefore don't have a chance to develop any "muscle memory" or other
      > expertise. A disk recovery app, for example, needs that kind of
      > interface because it's aimed at a problem that hopefully doesn't come
      > up very often. But when it does we're already frustrated and don't
      > want to have to learn how to use an arcane piece of software.

      This is absolutely true, but doesn't refute Vim's steep learning curve.

      > A software developer, on the other hand, spends a large portion of
      > his time in his text editor. It's his "home base." What Alan Cooper
      > once called a "sovereign app." With apps like that, what's wanted is
      > an interface that doesn't insist on calling attention to itself, but
      > instead recedes into the background so the user can focus all of his
      > attention on the task. Otherwise it's like trying to play the piano
      > while looking at your hands instead of the sheetmusic (or hearing the
      > song in your head.)

      :-) This is certainly true, but ...

      > People who don't work with text all that much or very often can be
      > quite content with Nano, Notepad, or even simpler interfaces. You
      > don't need vim to send text messages or tweets!

      True...

      > But other people find those "user-friendly" apps too confining, and
      > almost as awkward to use as an on-screen keyboard to be pecked at
      > with a stylus.

      True. That's exactly why we're all using Vim. Once you learn it, it's
      *much* easier (and faster) than "user-friendly" apps.

      Everything you write in this email is absolutely true, but none of it
      supports the poster who claimed that talk of Vim's steep learning curve
      is a gross exaggeration. There's going to be a certain amount of time
      during which a brand new Vim user is completely nonproductive in Vim,
      because all he's doing is learning, not using. The length of that
      nonproductive time depends on a lot of details, including how well and
      quickly one links specific keystrokes to specific tasks. Correct me if
      I'm wrong, but when I use Vim, my fingers do the thinking -- my head
      has no clue.

      The other thing I'd point out is that I have a feeling those who
      perceive Vim's learning curve the steepest might be those like me, who
      learned on vi, and only came to Vim after gaining proficiency on vi. In
      my opinion, vi has a steeper learning curve than Vim -- no blocking, no
      mouse, no menu, no cursor or pageup keys, no helpful tools to do
      something you have no idea how to do. My memories of learning vi might
      play a role in my opinion that Vim's learning curve is extremely steep.

      SteveT

      Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
      * http://twitter.com/stevelitt
      Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance

    • Boyko Bantchev
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
        On 2 October 2012 03:25, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
        > The fact is, that for X amount of time,
        > the Vim newbie will be helpless with Vim. That's not true of Notepad or
        > GEdit.

        How is that a fact? If one only does in Vim the kind of "editing"
        that they do in Notepad (e.g. when using Vim in easy mode), would
        they even notice a difference?

        > There's going to be a certain amount of time
        > during which a brand new Vim user is completely nonproductive in Vim,
        > because all he's doing is learning, not using.

        To say that Vim, as a particular text editor, has a steep learning
        curve, would mean that there are other editors that let their users
        do similar things but require no or little learning. What are those
        editors?

        I strongly suspect that what is being perceived as "Vim's steepness"
        is in fact the difficulty of learning to edit text efficaciously and
        efficiently. That difficulty is not somehow specific to Vim alone,
        but is essential to the task it solves. I'll agree that Vim has a
        steep learning curve when I'm shown a text editor with similar
        capabilities and a 'gradual' learning curve. Until then, I consider
        it a myth, and one that is harmful to Vim's popularity.

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
          vim & emacs: Well - the whole discussion is pointless because we're not
          talking about "what should be learned".

          Even notepad can do things Vim can't: Open registry dump files!

          So use the right tool for a job. And if you want to learn about Vim -
          and you're helpless - then ask somebody knowing how to find the tool, or
          use the website. Its not a Vim problem. Yes - at the beginning I didn't
          knew how to quit Vim - yet I learned it. I even was too dump to
          understand the press :q because ":" is often used as separator - and I
          only experienced the Windows world before.

          You all say productivity of Vim is great - well - yes after writing tons
          of plugins (depending on what you do) - and even then you feel limited.
          Or why do people start writing eclim like bridges (talking about
          programming).

          Now is Eclipse more productive than Vim?
          Eclipse can highlight used and unused #ifdef regions, Vim cannot
          (AFAIK).
          Thus given infinite amount of time - which tool will be more productive
          if your task is to understand fast which lines are actually used?

          So don't forget that there are also other tools - and use what it fits
          your needs.

          And if you're worried that new users fail to get started with Vim - then
          teach them how to use google instead of telling them where to find help.

          Linux users will soon learn that there is "man", Windows users are used
          to F1 and a Help menu - and everything exists and works.

          However

          :helpgrep mailinglist does not show anything - WHY?
          :helpgrep irc shows nothing (but my own documentation of my plugins! [1])
          :helpgrep chat (same)
          :h community (does not exist)
          :helpgrep community (one hit: on the netbeans page)

          But its us helping new users and giving them those hints

          Should we fix that?

          So what about adding a help file about the community containing pointers
          to the internet relay chat, and the mailinglist?

          If "productivity" was the thing you want to measure - and if you're a
          writer - and think "Vim is the tool I always tried to learn" - then also
          have a look at plover: http://plover.stenoknight.com/
          It may allow you to write with 200WPMs and more after some training.
          Maybe that's providing a bigger "productivity boost" - than all Vim
          knowledge.

          So how do you feel about the community? Should we be mentioned in the
          help files?

          How much of you (readers of this mailinglist) would have benefited
          knowing about this mailinglist or the #vim irc chat room earlier?

          Marc Weber

          [1]
          vim-addon-haskell.txt|40 col 3| irc.freenode.net: MarcWeber
          vim-addon-manager-additional-documentation.txt|1147 col 21| Of course #git on irc.freenode.net is willing to help if you have trouble
          vim-addon-manager-getting-started.txt|38 col 6| Join irc.freenode.net, /join #vim. Ask there. VAM has many users
          tovl.txt|145 col 16| MarcWeber on irc.freenode.org or mail: marco-oweber@...
          lang_haskell.txt|133 col 16| MarcWeber on irc.freenode.org or mail: marco-oweber@...

        • David H. Lynch Jr.
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
            Vi is present on nearly every *nix system in existance, from big
            servers to whatever is in your refridgerator. It is also on OSX.
            Vi is essentially a subset of vim. If you know vim you know vi. If you
            constantly need to work on random systems anywhere - you are stuck
            knowing the basics of Vi.
            I think Vi without Vim is pretty bad as an editor - but I can still use
            it. My fingers know what to do.
            There is nothing else this is true of.
            Vim is Vi on steroids.It is the default Vi in many places, but where it
            isn't or windows where there is no decent text editor, Vim can easily be
            installed when you are going to be working for more than a few
            minutes.

            I personally do not use but a fraction of the power of Vim, I have been
            using it for almost a decade and I am a novice. some things are hard to
            learn. but the power of even my limited knowledge is enormous. Sure
            there are other editors that are really good. I have used and loved many
            others, and some were friendlier. But none were everywhere.
            So fine it takes a long time to get to the point where you can change
            the 3rd to last word in each line to uppercase, prepend the first word
            in the line, and append the line number in octal. But I am sure someone
            here can tell you how to do that.

            If you are going to live in eclipse and no where else - then you
            probably should learn eclipses built in editor.
            There are other editors that will be the best choice for other specific
            scenarios.
            My work dictates that I must know Vi fairly well. And Vim is available
            - usually the default Vi in most of the places I work.
            I don't care about the learning curve. I care more about the fact that
            there are so many other tools like email, or ... that have their own
            limited editing capability built in that do not work like Vim. Anyone
            have a vim plugin for eclipse ? ThunderBird ?

          • Charles Campbell
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
              Marc Weber wrote:
              > <snip>
              > Eclipse can highlight used and unused #ifdef regions, Vim cannot
              > (AFAIK).

              <snip>

              Try Michael Gedde's "ifdef.vim" plugin --
              http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=7 .

              Regards,
              C Campbell

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
                Hi Marc!

                On Di, 02 Okt 2012, Marc Weber wrote:

                > vim & emacs: Well - the whole discussion is pointless because we're not
                > talking about "what should be learned".
                >
                > Even notepad can do things Vim can't: Open registry dump files!

                Why can't Vim?

                regards,
                Christian
                --
                Wenn der kluge Mann mit dem Kopf durch die Wand will, so benutzt er dazu
                einen anderen.

              • Marc Weber
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Excerpts from Christian Brabandt's message of Tue Oct 02 21:29:28 +0200 2012:
                  > > Even notepad can do things Vim can't: Open registry dump files!
                  > Why can't Vim?
                  Hmm you're right. You could write a decode and use it (like showing
                  hexdumps ..) - still I use bvi whenever I want to edit binary files.

                  Try Win + R -> "regedit" click on any folder -> File export -> save as
                  .reg file. Then you have a binary format which you can open in Vim but
                  which is unreadable for humans. Notepad decodes it.

                  I hope nobody got me wrong - I love Vim - and almost all the time half
                  of my processes are running Vim instances .. Still there is a point when
                  you hit a "frontier" - when tools are missing.

                  Eg I like the WYSIWYG behaviour of lyx which Vim will never provide
                  (unless a lot of development takes place)
                  which is why I want to say: think about learning curves as much as you
                  want - but don't miss domain specific solutions beside Vim if
                  appropriate.

                  Marc Weber

                • John Beckett
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Marc Weber wrote:
                    > Try Win + R -> "regedit" click on any folder -> File export
                    > -> save as .reg file. Then you have a binary format which you
                    > can open in Vim but which is unreadable for humans. Notepad
                    > decodes it.

                    On Windows (or most systems for that matter), your vimrc should
                    probably start with the following two lines:

                    set nocompatible
                    set encoding=utf-8

                    And, there should be nothing which sets fenc or fencs
                    (the 'fileencoding' and 'fileencodings' options).

                    You might have something to set fencs, but the defaults have
                    been sufficient for my modest needs.

                    With the above, Vim can correctly read a .reg file. After the
                    file is open, the following command shows that the .reg file
                    has file encoding utf-16le:

                    :set fenc?

                    John

                  • richard emberson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2012
                      Both Vim and GVim have menubars with menus and submenus and, in
                      addition, a popup menu that, at least for a very beginner, covers
                      (maybe) 90% of what they may want to do (once they've got
                      basic modal editing down).
                      Though, it is also true that they will quickly out grow the
                      menus and rapidly want to do something that requires a little
                      deeper knowledge.

                      Richard

                      --
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

                    • Marc Weber
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2012
                        > > can open in Vim but which is unreadable for humans. Notepad
                        > > decodes it.
                        sorry - the binary output only happens if you export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
                        this way.

                        I'm going to stop participating in this thread for now.

                        Marc Weber