change display colors. which rule causes which color?

  • Gelonida N
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
      I'm having terminal-windows with dark backgrounds.

      The problem is, that all dark blue colors are very difficult to recognize.

      Ideally I'd like to change all dark blue vim colors into a lighter blue
      or another color.

      My Questions:

      Is there an easy way to globally change one color with another.

      Alternatively.

      If I see something in a color, that I don't like.

      Is there any way to place my cursor on the 'badly' coloured word and
      find out which rule set the color for that word?

    • richard emberson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        To see the "group" I use:

        map <F10> :echo "hi<"
        synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),1)),"name") . ">"<CR>

        To see the colors associated with a group use:

        :highlight "groupname"

        I also have a color chooser
        https://github.com/megaannum/forms/blob/master/images/examples_colorchooser.png

        which is part of the Forms library:
        https://github.com/megaannum/forms

        and a color schemer viewer (built on top of Forms)
        https://github.com/megaannum/colorschemer

        Richard

        --
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

      • Gelonida N
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
          On 10/02/2012 01:00 AM, richard emberson wrote:
          > To see the "group" I use:
          >
          > map <F10> :echo "hi<"
          > synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),1)),"name") . ">"<CR>
          >
          > To see the colors associated with a group use:
          >
          > :highlight "groupname"

          Thanks a lot for this tip.
          This helps me to identify the groups, that are tricky to visualize.

        • Dominique PellĂ©
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
            Gelonida N wrote:

            > On 10/02/2012 01:00 AM, richard emberson wrote:
            >>
            >> To see the "group" I use:
            >>
            >> map <F10> :echo "hi<"
            >> synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),1)),"name") . ">"<CR>
            >>
            >> To see the colors associated with a group use:
            >>
            >> :highlight "groupname"
            >>
            > Thanks a lot for this tip.
            > This helps me to identify the groups, that are tricky to visualize.

            You can also show in the statusline the syntax group where cursor is located.
            See:

            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Showing_syntax_highlight_group_in_statusline

            -- Dominique

          • geoffrey.wood@thomsonreuters.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
              On Monday, 1 October 2012 23:33:17 UTC+1, Gelonida N wrote:
              > The problem is, that all dark blue colors are very difficult to recognize.
              > Ideally I'd like to change all dark blue vim colors into a lighter blue
              > or another color.

              I have the same problem with dark blue.

              > Is there an easy way to globally change one color with another[?]

              (Using Windows - not sure if this applies under other OSs.)
              Most colours are ultimately defined in vim\vim73\rgb.txt (if
              you're using VIM 7.3 of course).

              You can simply define your own colour in there and then use
              it in your colourscheme or whereever. I add this line

              0 96 255 BobBlue

              and then use it in my colourscheme:

              exe 'hi SpecialKey guifg=BobBlue'
              exe 'hi NonText guifg=BobBlue gui=NONE'
              if !exists("$TERM")
              hi SpecialKey ctermbg=DarkBlue ctermfg=White
              hi NonText ctermbg=DarkBlue ctermfg=White
              endif

              You can define it directly in the colourscheme and avoid the
              "exe" complication but then you can't use it in all other places,
              as far as I could tell.

              Since it doesn't work in DOS terminals I use DarkBlue
              background with White text there instead.

              You might be able to just edit the DarkBlue colour instead.
              You'd have to try that to see. Some core colours
              are defined elsewhere though - for example replace all the
              colours in rgb.txt with 77 77 77 and gvim still shows the
              colours like "red" as usual, although "red" is one of the
              lines in the file.

              Another problem is that rgb.txt is kept alongside the
              executable and so upgrades to the vim version will lose your
              changes. You'd expect there to be a way to define your own
              colours under $VIMRUNTIME, e.g., include your own rgb.txt
              there and have it added to the main colours, but I couldn't
              find such a method.

              Therefore I have the code below at the start of my _vimrc,
              and I keep my BobBlue colour and other colours in the file
              $VIMRUNTIME\rgb.txt

              It doesn't feel very elegant and there's possibly a better
              way to do it - works for me though.

              regards,
              Geoff

              " Update rgb.txt with my custom colours - if they don't
              " exist

              " read in my colours and default colours from the file
              let s:my_colours = readfile($VIM . "\\vimfiles\\rgb.txt")
              let s:rgb_file = readfile($VIMRUNTIME . "\\rgb.txt")

              let s:added_colours = 0
              " for each of my colours
              for s:my_colour in s:my_colours
              let s:found=0
              " for each of the default colours...
              for s:line in s:rgb_file
              "...found my colour?
              if s:line =~ s:my_colour
              let s:found=1
              break
              endif
              endfor
              "if didn't find my colour...
              if s:found==0
              " ... add it to the default colours
              let s:rgb_file += [s:my_colour]
              let s:added_colours += 1
              endif
              endfor
              " if we changed the default colours, update the file
              if s:added_colours > 0
              call writefile(s:rgb_file, $VIMRUNTIME . "\\rgb.txt")
              endif

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012
                Gelonida N wrote:
                > I'm having terminal-windows with dark backgrounds.
                >
                > The problem is, that all dark blue colors are very difficult to
                > recognize.
                >
                > Ideally I'd like to change all dark blue vim colors into a lighter
                > blue or another color.
                >

                > My Questions:
                >
                > Is there an easy way to globally change one color with another.
                >
                > Alternatively.
                >
                > If I see something in a color, that I don't like.
                >
                > Is there any way to place my cursor on the 'badly' coloured word and
                > find out which rule set the color for that word?

                Check out hicolors --

                http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HICOLORS (cutting
                edge)
                http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081 (stable)

                It gives help for highlighting colors by showing the name of the
                highlight in
                its currently selected color. Left-clicking on that color name will
                bring you
                to the help for it, and right-clicking on it will bring up a color editor.

                Also, I suggest looking into using hilinks.vim:

                http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS

                This plugin provides a syntax stack trace and a highlighting stack trace
                as you move your cursor about. In other words, as you move your cursor
                about, hilinks will identify which syntax highlighting group is
                responsible for what you see.

                Regards,
                C Campbell