colorschemer release upload failure

  • richard emberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2012
      I am trying to upload the first release of what I call colorschemer
      http://www.vim.org/scripts/add_script_version.php?script_id=4240
      Right now there is an empty, placeholder colorschemer.zip
      file at www.vim.org.

      This is based on my Forms library and lets one toggle through
      color schemes and file-types. See images at:

      https://github.com/megaannum/colorschemer/tree/master/images

      It also has a collection of some 687 third-party color schemes
      I scrapped off of vim.org (as well as what I call 'distilled'
      versions of those color schemes).

      The problem I am having is that every time I attempt to do an upload
      I get the following error message:

      colorschemer.zip is empty, are you sure you specified the correct path?

      Now, the colorschemer.zip file is a rather big file: 3.5M.
      Would that prevent me from uploading it?

      Bram has told me earlier today:
      Maximum file size is 10 Mbyte. But perhaps there is another limit
      along
      the way. And perhaps there really is something wrong with the file
      name? Check upper/lower case differences.

      My current thinking is that my home upload connection speed is to too
      slow, so the Vim server times-out and truncates my file to zero length.
      If I do not receive a solution soon I will break the utility into
      three or four parts, create separate "scripts" for each and upload
      the pieces. Users will be forced to perform
      multiple downloads to get the utility and its associated data files.

      Does anyone have any suggestions which will help me figure
      out what is wrong? Thanks.

      Richard

      --
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2012
        richard emberson wrote:
        > I am trying to upload the first release of what I call
        > colorschemer
        > http://www.vim.org/scripts/add_script_version.php?script_id=4240
        > Now, the colorschemer.zip file is a rather big file: 3.5M.
        > Would that prevent me from uploading it?

        I don't know about any technical limitations, but is a 3.5M
        zip file really a Vim script? There are people who routinely
        download new scripts and have a look at them from interest.
        They will get a surprise when they find themselves looking
        at an unzipped file of several megabytes.

        If I understand the situation, your zip is a collection of all
        colorscheme scripts from vim.org, with some tool for viewing
        them? Similar ideas have been tried in the past, but I think
        there are far too many colorschemes for anyone to evaluate.
        That's particularly the case when many of them are merely a
        minor variation on another scheme, and many are somewhat broken.

        It might be more helpful for someone to do an evaluation for
        what is good on a system of a certain type, and provide a
        preview of, say, fifty of the best schemes. See the links at
        the following for how that has been attempted:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Switch_color_schemes

        John