set mouse=a and copy paste

  • Gelonida N
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2012

      So far I did not use

      :set mouse=a

      This sounds also an interesting option.

      However it has one drawback, which is, that whatever I select with a
      mouse can no more be pasted to other windows.

      as using the mouse is now affecting the visual mode selection it doesn't
      seem to populate the clipboard anymore.

      Would there be any trick to
      set mouse=a , and still have the visual selection end up in the
      clipboard or to be able to copy paset from another app?

      Thanks once more for any suggestion

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2012
        Hi Gelonida!

        On Fr, 21 Sep 2012, Gelonida N wrote:

        > So far I did not use
        >
        > :set mouse=a
        >
        > This sounds also an interesting option.
        >
        > However it has one drawback, which is, that whatever I select with a
        > mouse can no more be pasted to other windows.
        >
        > as using the mouse is now affecting the visual mode selection it
        > doesn't seem to populate the clipboard anymore.
        >
        > Would there be any trick to
        > set mouse=a , and still have the visual selection end up in the
        > clipboard or to be able to copy paset from another app?

        Have you tried this

        ,----[ :h 'mouse' ]-
        | Note: When enabling the mouse in a terminal, copy/paste will use the
        | "* register if there is access to an X-server. The xterm handling of
        | the mouse buttons can still be used by keeping the shift key pressed.
        | Also see the 'clipboard' option.
        `----

        Also as mentioned see the help at :h 'clipboard

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Die große Notwendigkeit erhebt, die kleine erniedrigt den Menschen.
        -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Riemer, Nov. 1803)

      • Gelonida N
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
          On 09/22/2012 01:31 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > Hi Gelonida!
          >

          >> Would there be any trick to
          >> set mouse=a , and still have the visual selection end up in the
          >> clipboard or to be able to copy paset from another app?
          >
          > Have you tried this
          >
          > ,----[ :h 'mouse' ]-
          > | Note: When enabling the mouse in a terminal, copy/paste will use the
          > | "* register if there is access to an X-server. The xterm handling of
          > | the mouse buttons can still be used by keeping the shift key pressed.
          > | Also see the 'clipboard' option.
          > `----
          >
          > Also as mentioned see the help at :h 'clipboard

          Thanks a lot.

          Yeah pressing shift is doing the trick.