vim GUI on virtual Win 95 - NOT

  • dbird
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
      According to the vim download page info, gvim73_46.exe should be good also on windows 95. I have win 95 installed in a VirtualBox machine running on win 7 64-bit. And, I ran the gvim73_46.exe install, which was all successful until the end where I get the message:
      "Error Starting Program
      The C:\Program Files\vim\vim73\gvim.exe file expects a newer version of windows. Upgrade your windows version."

      This popup is on top of another:
      "c:\program files\vim\vim73\gvim73.exe
      [above repeated]
      A device attached to the system is not functioning."

      My win 95 install is one of the last updates that were put out, an OEM that shows itself as 4.00.950 B.

      Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here? Is there somewhere I can look for a detailed description of the actual error?

      Thanks,

      Dave

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
        On 06/09/12 23:16, dbird wrote:
        > According to the vim download page info, gvim73_46.exe should be good also on windows 95. I have win 95 installed in a VirtualBox machine running on win 7 64-bit. And, I ran the gvim73_46.exe install, which was all successful until the end where I get the message:
        > "Error Starting Program
        > The C:\Program Files\vim\vim73\gvim.exe file expects a newer version of windows. Upgrade your windows version."
        >
        > This popup is on top of another:
        > "c:\program files\vim\vim73\gvim73.exe
        > [above repeated]
        > A device attached to the system is not functioning."
        >
        > My win 95 install is one of the last updates that were put out, an OEM that shows itself as 4.00.950 B.
        >
        > Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here? Is there somewhere I can look for a detailed description of the actual error?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dave

        I suppose that the binary requires features not yet present in Win95
        (either in the Win95 kernel or in its shared libraries).

        You might try the latest "Vim without Cream" from
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ — it is compiled with a
        different compiler and linker, from a more up-to-date Vim release, and
        it may (or may not) be compatible with Win95. (Only experiment will
        tell, unless you can understand the fine points of the "release notes"
        better than I can, or unless someone knows the answer and speaks up.)

        If it doesn't work either, you may have to find a C/C++ compiler
        compatible with your version of Win95, and compile the source yourself.
        Or else, upgrade to a more recent OS (either a more recent version of
        Windows, or scrap Windows for good and install Linux instead).

        Armadillo:
        To provide weapons to a Spanish pickle

      • George V. Reilly
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
          On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          > On 06/09/12 23:16, dbird wrote:
          >>
          >> According to the vim download page info, gvim73_46.exe should be good
          >> also on windows 95. I have win 95 installed in a VirtualBox machine running
          >> on win 7 64-bit. And, I ran the gvim73_46.exe install, which was all
          >> successful until the end where I get the message:
          >> "Error Starting Program
          >> The C:\Program Files\vim\vim73\gvim.exe file expects a newer version of
          >> windows. Upgrade your windows version."
          >>
          >> This popup is on top of another:
          >> "c:\program files\vim\vim73\gvim73.exe
          >> [above repeated]
          >> A device attached to the system is not functioning."
          >>
          >> My win 95 install is one of the last updates that were put out, an OEM
          >> that shows itself as 4.00.950 B.
          >>
          >> Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here? Is there somewhere I
          >> can look for a detailed description of the actual error?
          >
          > I suppose that the binary requires features not yet present in Win95
          > (either in the Win95 kernel or in its shared libraries).
          >
          > You might try the latest "Vim without Cream" from
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ — it is compiled with a
          > different compiler and linker, from a more up-to-date Vim release, and it
          > may (or may not) be compatible with Win95. (Only experiment will tell,
          > unless you can understand the fine points of the "release notes" better than
          > I can, or unless someone knows the answer and speaks up.)
          >
          > If it doesn't work either, you may have to find a C/C++ compiler
          > compatible with your version of Win95, and compile the source yourself. Or
          > else, upgrade to a more recent OS (either a more recent version of Windows,
          > or scrap Windows for good and install Linux instead).

          Windows 95? Even in a VM, that seems like an exercise in masochism and futility.

          Try http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to figure out what the missing
          imports are. You could also try rebuilding Gvim with fewer options,
          e.g., nmake Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=SMALL
          --
          /George V. Reilly george@... Twitter: @georgevreilly
          http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

        • Dave Bird
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
            On 9/6/2012 4:54 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 06/09/12 23:16, dbird wrote:
            >> According to the vim download page info, gvim73_46.exe should be good
            >> also on windows 95. I have win 95 installed in a VirtualBox machine
            >> running on win 7 64-bit. And, I ran the gvim73_46.exe install, which
            >> was all successful until the end where I get the message:
            >> "Error Starting Program
            >> The C:\Program Files\vim\vim73\gvim.exe file expects a newer version
            >> of windows. Upgrade your windows version."
            >>
            >> This popup is on top of another:
            >> "c:\program files\vim\vim73\gvim73.exe
            >> [above repeated]
            >> A device attached to the system is not functioning."
            >>
            >> My win 95 install is one of the last updates that were put out, an OEM
            >> that shows itself as 4.00.950 B.
            >>
            >> Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here? Is there
            >> somewhere I can look for a detailed description of the actual error?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> Dave
            >>

            > I suppose that the binary requires features not yet present in Win95
            > (either in the Win95 kernel or in its shared libraries).
            >
            > You might try the latest "Vim without Cream" from
            > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ — it is compiled with a
            > different compiler and linker, from a more up-to-date Vim release, and
            > it may (or may not) be compatible with Win95. (Only experiment will
            > tell, unless you can understand the fine points of the "release notes"
            > better than I can, or unless someone knows the answer and speaks up.)
            >
            > If it doesn't work either, you may have to find a C/C++ compiler
            > compatible with your version of Win95, and compile the source yourself.
            > Or else, upgrade to a more recent OS (either a more recent version of
            > Windows, or scrap Windows for good and install Linux instead).
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tony.

            Ha! Thanks for the comment. I think I'll go the other way. Look for a
            version of gvim that was current in that timeframe.

            Thanks again,

            Dave

          • Dave Bird
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2012
              On 9/6/2012 9:25 PM, George V. Reilly wrote:
              > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Tony Mechelynck
              > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              > Windows 95? Even in a VM, that seems like an exercise in masochism and futility.
              >
              > Try http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to figure out what the missing
              > imports are. You could also try rebuilding Gvim with fewer options,
              > e.g., nmake Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=SMALL

              I suppose maybe. I have some old files made by vintage s/w that I can't
              open any more. Exploring ways to reconstruct the "crime". Besides, it's
              kind of fun playing with virtual machines. Never did that before...

              Thanks for the comment.

              Dave

            • dbird
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2012
                On Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:33:35 PM UTC-7, dbird wrote:

                > <snip>

                gvim64.exe works fine. Issue now resolved.

                Thanks for all the comments and advice, even ones I didn't use.

                Dave