Re: Vim for iPad

  • Benjamin Klein
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
      On Sep 2, 2012, at 2:54 PM, "tux." <zeug@...> wrote:

      > Doesn't the iPad support bluetooth keyboards like a good tablet does?

      It does, but generally has trouble with the Ctrl and Esc keys (which also of course aren’t even on the built-in software keyboard, although I suppose a dedicated app could add those in).

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Andrew Long
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
        On 3 Sep 2012, at 13:45, Benjamin Klein wrote:

        > On Sep 2, 2012, at 2:54 PM, "tux." <zeug@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Doesn't the iPad support bluetooth keyboards like a good tablet does?
        >
        > It does, but generally has trouble with the Ctrl and Esc keys (which also of course aren’t even on the built-in software keyboard, although I suppose a dedicated app could add those in).

        I thought I'd saved the original posts about vim on the iPad, but can't find them any more :-(

        Anyway, there *is* a way to configure vim for the absent keys (and I can't find it any more). Also the bluetooth keyboard support was a bit flaky - you had to open vim, connect the keyboard, close and restart vim for it to pick it up. It didn't help having the keyboard connected before you started vim either.

        I haven't seen it update from the app store recently so don't imagine much progress is being made.

        Regards, Andy

        --
        Andrew Long
        andrew dot long at mac dot com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
          On Sep 3, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Andrew Long <andrew.long@...> wrote:

          > I thought I'd saved the original posts about vim on the iPad, but can't find them any more :-(

          These don’t refer to the Vim for iOS app but do refer to using Vim on an iPad (via iSSH… on a remote server [Linode]):

          http://yieldthought.com/post/12239282034/swapped-my-macbook-for-an-ipad

          http://yieldthought.com/post/12638596672/setting-up-an-ipad-linode

          > Anyway, there *is* a way to configure vim for the absent keys (and I can't find it any more).

          Again, I was thinking more of using Vim in such apps as iSSH, rather than this dedicated app. This deals with at least the Esc key:

          http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-set-up-vim-to-work-well-via-issh.html

        • Andrew Long
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
            On 3 Sep 2012, at 17:22, Benjamin Klein wrote:

            > On Sep 3, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Andrew Long <andrew.long@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I thought I'd saved the original posts about vim on the iPad, but can't find them any more :-(
            >
            > These don’t refer to the Vim for iOS app but do refer to using Vim on an iPad (via iSSH… on a remote server [Linode]):
            >
            > <snip/>
            > Again, I was thinking more of using Vim in such apps as iSSH, rather than this dedicated app. This deals with at least the Esc key:

            OK, sorry I can't be any more help (not that it was much in the first place!) Ayway, I have nothing more.

            Regards, Andy

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
              On Sep 3, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Andrew Long <andrew.long@...> wrote:

              > OK, sorry I can't be any more help (not that it was much in the first place!) Ayway, I have nothing more.

              Oops. Sorry -- I think I actually was probably the one who was off-topic (the original discussion was about the Vim for iOS app, rather than about the stuff that I linked to). :}

              I think the general consensus is that the control keys are tough on any version of Vim for iOS. This review is about the app in question:

              http://usevim.com/2012/05/30/vim-ios/

              A quote:

              "I haven't figured out how to make arrow keys work when using a bluetooth keyboard, and I'm still baffled by how to type <Ctrl> and<Tab> on the iOS keyboard. [...] The escape key isn't mapped -- instead it's mapped to \. This is on the second symbol keyboard in iOS which is a little bit awkward to get to. One tip I read suggests remapping it using :imap al <Esc> -- this means the al keys have to be pressed simultaneously.

              "I found the app worked fairly well with a bluetooth keyboard, but the escape key doesn't work with a physical keyboard either. I couldn't find a way to force it to work."

              I should mention that I both am lazy (and thus have not actually tried this app myself yet) and would very much like to be able to use Vim on iOS. I use both constantly and being able to use them together, as Mr. O'Connor writes of, would be total awesomeness. :)

            • David Sanson
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 17, 2012
                For me, the Vim for iOS app never got beyond a novelty for two reasons:

                (1) no reasonable method for getting files in and out of Vim;
                (2) no support for the ESC key on the bluetooth keyboard.

                For (1), Dropbox support would be great. Git and SSH would be better! At a minimum, just being able to send files from other iOS apps and to other iOS apps.

                The Prompt app by Panic (a SSH client) supports the ESC key on the bluetooth keyboard, so it can be done. Don't know what magic they use to get this done. If you want to use Vim over SSH on your iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, that is the way to go.

                I'm not sure what is possible on a jailbroken iPad. There is a CLI build of vim for iOS, right? Last I knew, the Terminal app for jailbroken iOS was not very good. In principle, couldn't one use Prompt to SSH into localhost, and then use the local cli vim in that way?