Re: Help me understand @. macros

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2012
      On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Andy Wokula wrote:

      > Am 20.08.2012 22:58, schrieb cybrown:
      >> I'm a relatively new VIM user, and I've been playing vimgolf
      >> (www.vimgolf.com) to learn new skills. This challenge has a bizarre
      >> solution that I don't understand:
      >> http://www.vimgolf.com/challenges/4d1db1b8de2f897c2a00014a
      >>
      >> Here's the shortest solution posted:
      >> a.<BS><CR><Esc>24@.ZZ
      >>
      >> First off, I didn't realize @. was a valid macro combination. So, my
      >> questions:
      >> 1) Is @. any different than .? Why would I want to use one instead of the
      >> other?
      >> 2) What's going on with this solution? Why does it work but:
      >> a<CR><Esc>24@.ZZ
      >> doesn't work? What's so special about inserting the dot specifically?
      >
      > All in all, it's a tricky one; in order to congrat the author I'll
      > give a lengthy explanation :-)

      Pretty good explanation. Two nits:

      > He implicitly records into the `.' register by typing `.' in Insert mode
      > ("recording" is later stopped with `<Esc>');

      He implicitly records into the ". register because he's inserting text
      with `a'. The ". register "Contains the last inserted text" according

      :help quote.

      You can record into ". via i, I, a, A, o, O, and <Insert> (possibly
      others -- those are the ones I could find quickly).

      > the dot is not wanted for the line break, so he also hits `<BS>'.
      > `@.' is executed in Normal mode where the sequence `.<BS><CR>' gets a
      > different meaning.
      > For this special case, `<BS><CR>' is a no-op, so `24@.' executes `.' 24 times
      > in a row, with the intended result.

      `<BS><CR>' is <BS> (equivalent to `h', except that 'whichwrap' contains
      'b,s' by default, so <BS> wraps over line breaks) followed by <CR>
      (equivalent to `+'). So <BS><CR> moves up a line (because we're on the
      first character of the line and it wraps) and down a line. So it's only
      a "no-op" because it's not performed on the first line of the file
      (where it would move down by one).

      --
      Best,
      Ben