Re: :E and current window

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
      On 10/08/12 23:41, Mark Volkmann wrote:
      > On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
      >
      > On 10/08/12 20:38, Mark Volkmann wrote:
      >
      > Sometimes when I have split windows and press :E to explore the
      > file system, the cursor jumps to a different window than the one
      > I was in when I pressed :E. This is very frustrating because I
      > have to move back to the original window to select a file. What
      > could cause this?
      >
      > According to ":help :Explore" (quoted below), the directory browser
      > will take over the current window if the file hasn't been modified,
      > otherwise it will open a new split-window:
      >

      > In my case the current window has not been modified. A new split-window
      > is not opened. Instead, the cursor jumps to another window that is
      > occupied by a different buffer.
      >
      > This also often happens when I select ".." in the file list within the
      > explorer window. That window changes to show me a list of the files in
      > the parent directory AND the cursor jumps to a different window.
      > --
      > R. Mark Volkmann
      > Object Computing, Inc.

      Do you use 'splitbelow'? I do, but I think Dr. Chip doesn't, which makes
      netrw behave in unexpected ways.

      Vim is like Emacs without all the typing. (John "Johann" Spetz)

    • Mark Volkmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2012
        No, I don't use that Vim plugin.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2012
          On 11/08/12 12:11, Mark Volkmann wrote:
          > No, I don't use that Vim plugin.

          It isn't a plugin, it's an option setting, see :help 'splitbelow'

          > On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Tony Mechelynck
          > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On 10/08/12 23:41, Mark Volkmann wrote:
          >>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Tony Mechelynck
          >>> <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> On 10/08/12 20:38, Mark Volkmann wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Sometimes when I have split windows and press :E to explore the
          >>> file system, the cursor jumps to a different window than the one
          >>> I was in when I pressed :E. This is very frustrating because I
          >>> have to move back to the original window to select a file. What
          >>> could cause this?
          >>>
          >>> According to ":help :Explore" (quoted below), the directory browser
          >>> will take over the current window if the file hasn't been modified,
          >>> otherwise it will open a new split-window:
          >>>

          >>> In my case the current window has not been modified. A new split-window
          >>> is not opened. Instead, the cursor jumps to another window that is
          >>> occupied by a different buffer.
          >>>
          >>> This also often happens when I select ".." in the file list within the
          >>> explorer window. That window changes to show me a list of the files in
          >>> the parent directory AND the cursor jumps to a different window.
          >>> --
          >>> R. Mark Volkmann
          >>> Object Computing, Inc.
          >>
          >> Do you use 'splitbelow'? I do, but I think Dr. Chip doesn't, which makes netrw behave in unexpected ways.
          >>

          >> Best regards,
          >> Tony.
          >> --
          >> Vim is like Emacs without all the typing. (John "Johann" Spetz)

          Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in
          1929. Ignoring his department chief, and tying his assistant to an
          operating table to prevent his interference, he placed a uretheral
          catheter into a vein in his arm, advanced it to the right atrium [of
          his heart], and walked upstairs to the x-ray department where he took
          the confirmatory x-ray film. In 1956, Dr. Forssman was awarded the
          Nobel Prize.

        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
            Mark Volkmann wrote:
            > Sometimes when I have split windows and press :E to explore the file system, the cursor jumps to a different window than the one I was in when I pressed :E. This is very frustrating because I have to move back to the original window to select a file. What could cause this?

            Please try the latest netrw; I'm not saying it will fix your problem (as
            I don't have a Mac), but there was a bug with an open buffer, :split,
            etc that has been fixed. You may get it from my website:
            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW .

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell