vim: vertical writing

  • ping
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
      is there a way for vertical writing (or right-to-left writing) in vim?
      I guess no...?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_and_vertical_writing_in_East_Asian_scripts

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
        On 08/02/12 12:25, ping wrote:
        > is there a way for vertical writing (or right-to-left writing) in
        > vim?

        I don't know about vertical (I'm pretty sure not), but Vim does
        support RTL text:

        :help 'revins'
        :help i_CTRL-_
        :help 'rightleft'
        :help rileft.txt

        -tim

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
          On 02/08/12 19:33, Tim Chase wrote:
          > On 08/02/12 12:25, ping wrote:
          >> is there a way for vertical writing (or right-to-left writing) in
          >> vim?
          >
          > I don't know about vertical (I'm pretty sure not), but Vim does
          > support RTL text:
          >
          > :help 'revins'
          > :help i_CTRL-_
          > :help 'rightleft'
          > :help rileft.txt
          >
          > -tim

          For vertical writing in CJK I've seen fonts whose glyphs were rotated by
          90°, but I don't remember the details, it was many years ago on a
          different operating system.

          Rotating hanzi glyphs 90° counterclockwise (and printing in Lanscape
          orientation when you want a Portrait result) will of course result in
          columnar text, with the first column on the right, as the Chinese used
          to print (and often still do when not mixing CJK and alphabetic text).

          "Well, that was a piece of cake, eh K-9?"

          "Piece of cake, Master? Radial slice of baked confection ...
          coefficient of relevance to Key of Time: zero."
          -- Dr. Who

        • C. Meissa
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012

            ping schrieb am 02.08.2012 19:25:56:
            > is there a way for vertical writing (or right-to-left writing) in vim?
            > I guess no...?

            No!
            „mlterm“ does proper handlich of RTL-Scripts which I remember worked for
            me with Farsi typing in VIM.

            The manpage seems to indicate vertical writing support as well.

            Best Regards
            CM