Re: Activating Windows gVim from the command line

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 7:30 AM
      On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:21:02 AM UTC-5, His Nerdship wrote:

      > I have found a working solution:
      >
      > gvim -c "/haddock" +713 -c ":call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
      >

      > First do the '/' search, then go to the specified line, then do the
      >
      > ":call search"

      I'm glad you got it working, and I don't see any reason to change it.

      I do have one minor note which may save you some trouble in the future.

      You seem to think vim -c "/pattern" performs a '/' search. It doesn't. What it is doing is specifying the first line of an ex command range via a pattern. I'm not sure where it's documented but specifying a single-line range with no command will just set the cursor to that line.

      :help :range gives details. I wonder if you could make use of a ";" in your range to accomplish what you want with a shorter command.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 12:32 PM
        On 02/08/12 16:30, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:21:02 AM UTC-5, His Nerdship wrote:
        >>

        >> I have found a working solution:
        >>
        >> gvim -c "/haddock" +713 -c ":call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
        >>

        >> First do the '/' search, then go to the specified line, then do the
        >>
        >> ":call search"
        >
        > I'm glad you got it working, and I don't see any reason to change it.
        >
        > I do have one minor note which may save you some trouble in the future.
        >
        > You seem to think vim -c "/pattern" performs a '/' search. It doesn't. What it is doing is specifying the first line of an ex command range via a pattern. I'm not sure where it's documented but specifying a single-line range with no command will just set the cursor to that line.

        It has ho helptag of its own, but it is documented as :[range], just
        after ":help gg", in the section about up and down motions.

        ":help +cmd" and ":help [range]" (the section which includes the
        ":range" overview you mention below) are also relevant because more
        detailed, but the section about +something as a Vim argument is ":help -+c".

        > :help :range gives details. I wonder if you could make use of a ";" in your range to accomplish what you want with a shorter command.

        ...for instance
        gvim +713;/haddock/ -c "call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
        for the first "haddock" after line 713 (i.e. on line 714 or after).

        This will also find chaddocks if present. See
        :help /\<
        :help /\>
        about specifying word boundaries in a pattern.

        This is the _LAST_ time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!