Re: What's the best way to move to an arbitrary location on your screen?

  • Daan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 4:41 PM
      Thanks for investing the time to reply to me guys. I think that I will try to focus on relative line numbers first!

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2 3:33 AM

        I like PreciseJump: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3437

        --

        .

      • Ethan Hereth
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3 7:59 AM
          On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Paul <google01239@...> wrote:
          On Tuesday, 31 July, 2012 at 19:58:55 BST, Daan wrote:
          I've been learning Vim for a while, and one situation has been coming up a lot for me:

          1) I'm scrolling through a sourcefile, and see an interesting word I'd like to edit or yank.
          2) I look left at the line number of the word, and type [line number]G
          3) I keep pressing w/W/b/B until I reach the word, (except if the word happens to be the first or last word of the line, or located near a unique symbol)

          However, this feels inefficient (especially step 2), and I'm hoping to find a better solution.

          I like PreciseJump: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3437

          --

          If you like PreciseJump, you'd probably also like EasyMotion: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526 (or  https://github.com/Lokaltog/vim-easymotion)
              In my opinion it is more complete than PreciseJump; it does everything PreciseJump does and more...

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3 8:58 AM
            On Friday, 03 August, 2012 at 15:59:44 BST, Ethan Hereth wrote:
            >> I like PreciseJump: http://www.vim.org/scripts/**script.php?script_id=3437<http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3437>
            >>
            >> If you like PreciseJump, you'd probably also like EasyMotion:
            >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526 (or
            >> https://github.com/Lokaltog/vim-easymotion)
            >>
            > In my opinion it is more complete than PreciseJump; it does everything
            >PreciseJump does and more...

            Mine too, now!

            --

            .

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5 1:29 PM
              Hi sc!

              On Di, 31 Jul 2012, sc wrote:

              > :h f
              >
              > f is the linewise search command -- it is famous for the fact that it
              > searches current line only (and to the right only).

              That's why I have made

              regards,
              Christian