Activating Windows gVim from the command line

  • His Nerdship
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
      I left a query about 10 days ago which was kindly and competently
      answered by Ben (Fritz). Vielen Dank, Ben.
      I have another problem stemming from the same issue, namely that the
      moronic managers (aren’t they all?) at my new job have locked down our
      PC’s such that we cannot install anything properly. Ain’t no one like
      a manager to stop you doing your job. This has happened on my last
      two contracts, so seems to be the way things are going.
      Anyway one side effect is that Vim no longer has a working COM
      interface, through which I control Vim from another program (His
      Grepship), creating a very handy and powerful combination. To get
      past this I have tried to make His Grepship activate Vim with a
      command line request, passed to CreateProcess(). It passes as
      arguments the line no from which to search, and the required search
      expression. So if I want to start up Vim so that it immediately takes
      me to the word ‘haddock’ on line 713 of fish.cpp I would expect to
      enter:
      gvim +713 -c “/haddock” fish.cpp
      However I find this takes me to (or near) line 713, and all instances
      of ‘haddock’ are correctly highlighted, but at best it will take me
      only to the start of the line, not to the expression itself. I am
      trying to emulate as closely as possible the functionality we get when
      COM/OLE is working correctly, where the cursor is placed right on the
      search expression.
      Is there a way I can achieve this level of control from the command
      line?
      Thanks in advance.

    • sc
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
        On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 04:36:50PM -0700, His Nerdship wrote:
        > I left a query about 10 days ago which was kindly and competently
        > answered by Ben (Fritz). Vielen Dank, Ben.
        > I have another problem stemming from the same issue, namely that the
        > moronic managers (aren’t they all?) at my new job have locked down our
        > PC’s such that we cannot install anything properly. Ain’t no one like
        > a manager to stop you doing your job. This has happened on my last
        > two contracts, so seems to be the way things are going.
        > Anyway one side effect is that Vim no longer has a working COM
        > interface, through which I control Vim from another program (His
        > Grepship), creating a very handy and powerful combination. To get
        > past this I have tried to make His Grepship activate Vim with a
        > command line request, passed to CreateProcess(). It passes as
        > arguments the line no from which to search, and the required search
        > expression. So if I want to start up Vim so that it immediately takes
        > me to the word ‘haddock’ on line 713 of fish.cpp I would expect to
        > enter:
        > gvim +713 -c “/haddock” fish.cpp
        > However I find this takes me to (or near) line 713, and all instances
        > of ‘haddock’ are correctly highlighted, but at best it will take me
        > only to the start of the line, not to the expression itself. I am
        > trying to emulate as closely as possible the functionality we get when
        > COM/OLE is working correctly, where the cursor is placed right on the
        > search expression.
        > Is there a way I can achieve this level of control from the command
        > line?

        what about gvim -c ":call search('haddock')"

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
          On 2012-08-01, His Nerdship wrote:

          > So if I want to start up Vim so that it immediately takes
          > me to the word ‘haddock’ on line 713 of fish.cpp I would expect to
          > enter:
          > gvim +713 -c “/haddock” fish.cpp
          > However I find this takes me to (or near) line 713, and all instances
          > of ‘haddock’ are correctly highlighted, but at best it will take me
          > only to the start of the line, not to the expression itself. I am
          > trying to emulate as closely as possible the functionality we get when
          > COM/OLE is working correctly, where the cursor is placed right on the
          > search expression.
          > Is there a way I can achieve this level of control from the command
          > line?

          (I assume that the oddball quotation marks are due to your mailer's
          editor.)

          The -c option specifies an ex command, not a normal-mode
          command. The ex search command finds the line matching the
          patterns, not the column.

          What you want is something like this:

          gvim +713 -c 'exe "normal /haddock\<CR>"' fish.cpp

          The quoting shown works on Unix. It's important that the :normal
          command be enclosed in double-quotes for the \<CR> to be correctly
          expanded by :exe. I don't know how to quote that properly on
          Windows, so I'll leave that to you.

          See

          :help -c
          :help :normal
          :help :silent " for an example of a :normal search command
          :help :exe

          Regards,
          Gary

        • His Nerdship
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012

            > (I assume that the oddball quotation marks are due to your mailer's
            > editor.)
            >
            > The -c option specifies an ex command, not a normal-mode
            > command.  The ex search command finds the line matching the
            > patterns, not the column.
            >
            > What you want is something like this:
            >
            >     gvim +713 -c 'exe "normal /haddock\<CR>"' fish.cpp
            >
            > The quoting shown works on Unix.  It's important that the :normal
            > command be enclosed in double-quotes for the \<CR> to be correctly
            > expanded by :exe.  I don't know how to quote that properly on
            > Windows, so I'll leave that to you.
            >
            > See
            >
            >     :help -c
            >     :help :normal
            >     :help :silent " for an example of a :normal search command
            >     :help :exe
            >
            > Regards,
            > Gary

            Thanks a million, Gary and sc.
            Gary your solution didn't work in Windows - it has different quoting
            rules to UNIX. It's just a matter of experimentation and I will try
            and bully it into submission later.
            sc - your solution worked in that it correctly brought up Vim with the
            cursor on the search expression. However Vim clearly does not
            consider this to be a normal search, because the expression was not
            highlighted and hitting 'n' (for next occurrence) did nothing.
            However it gave me the break I needed because I just preceded your
            ":call search" action with a normal search:

            gvim +712 -c "/haddock" -c ":call search('haddock')" fish.cpp

            The initial -c "/haddock" sets up haddock as the current search
            expression (so that all haddocks are highlighted, and hitting 'n' will
            find the next one), and the ":call search" takes one to the actual
            expression.
            HOWEVER - note I had to subtract 1 from the line no (713) because the
            "/haddock" takes one to the start of the line, and the ":call search"
            starts its search from the following line. This is not perfect, and
            work in progress, but at least it's progress.
            Thanks again

          • His Nerdship
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
              On Aug 2, 12:00 pm, His Nerdship <shol...@...> wrote:
              > Thanks a million, Gary and sc.
              > Gary your solution didn't work in Windows - it has different quoting
              > rules to UNIX.  It's just a matter of experimentation and I will try
              > and bully it into submission later.
              > sc - your solution worked in that it correctly brought up Vim with the
              > cursor on the search expression.  However Vim clearly does not
              > consider this to be a normal search, because the expression was not
              > highlighted and hitting 'n' (for next occurrence) did nothing.
              > However it gave me the break I needed because I just preceded your
              > ":call search" action with a normal search:
              >
              >   gvim +712 -c "/haddock" -c ":call search('haddock')" fish.cpp
              >
              > The initial -c "/haddock" sets up haddock as the current search
              > expression (so that all haddocks are highlighted, and hitting 'n' will
              > find the next one), and the ":call search" takes one to the actual
              > expression.
              > HOWEVER - note I had to subtract 1 from the line no (713) because the
              > "/haddock" takes one to the start of the line, and the ":call search"
              > starts its search from the following line.  This is not perfect, and
              > work in progress, but at least it's progress.
              > Thanks again- Hide quoted text -

              I have found a working solution:
              gvim -c "/haddock" +713 -c ":call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp

              First do the '/' search, then go to the specified line, then do the
              ":call search", i.e. specify the line no AFTER the initial search.
              Also note the parameters passed to search() can be in single quotes.
              The 2nd parameter to search(), 'c', tells search() to accept a match
              at the cursor position. Without this, if the search string is at the
              beginning of the line, Vim will move on to the next occurrence.

              This even works with added conditions, such as case insensitive
              (precede with \c), regular expression (\m), and whole word. This will
              also find the above haddock (looking for 'h.dd.CK'):
              gvim -c"/\c\m\<h.dd.CK\>" +713 -c ":call search('\c\m\<h.dd.CK
              \>','c')" fish.cpp

              Thanks for your help guys. You gave me the break I needed.

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
                On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:21:02 AM UTC-5, His Nerdship wrote:

                > I have found a working solution:
                >
                > gvim -c "/haddock" +713 -c ":call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
                >

                > First do the '/' search, then go to the specified line, then do the
                >
                > ":call search"

                I'm glad you got it working, and I don't see any reason to change it.

                I do have one minor note which may save you some trouble in the future.

                You seem to think vim -c "/pattern" performs a '/' search. It doesn't. What it is doing is specifying the first line of an ex command range via a pattern. I'm not sure where it's documented but specifying a single-line range with no command will just set the cursor to that line.

                :help :range gives details. I wonder if you could make use of a ";" in your range to accomplish what you want with a shorter command.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
                  On 02/08/12 16:30, Ben Fritz wrote:
                  > On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:21:02 AM UTC-5, His Nerdship wrote:
                  >>

                  >> I have found a working solution:
                  >>
                  >> gvim -c "/haddock" +713 -c ":call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
                  >>

                  >> First do the '/' search, then go to the specified line, then do the
                  >>
                  >> ":call search"
                  >
                  > I'm glad you got it working, and I don't see any reason to change it.
                  >
                  > I do have one minor note which may save you some trouble in the future.
                  >
                  > You seem to think vim -c "/pattern" performs a '/' search. It doesn't. What it is doing is specifying the first line of an ex command range via a pattern. I'm not sure where it's documented but specifying a single-line range with no command will just set the cursor to that line.

                  It has ho helptag of its own, but it is documented as :[range], just
                  after ":help gg", in the section about up and down motions.

                  ":help +cmd" and ":help [range]" (the section which includes the
                  ":range" overview you mention below) are also relevant because more
                  detailed, but the section about +something as a Vim argument is ":help -+c".

                  > :help :range gives details. I wonder if you could make use of a ";" in your range to accomplish what you want with a shorter command.

                  ...for instance
                  gvim +713;/haddock/ -c "call search('haddock','c')" fish.cpp
                  for the first "haddock" after line 713 (i.e. on line 714 or after).

                  This will also find chaddocks if present. See
                  :help /\<
                  :help /\>
                  about specifying word boundaries in a pattern.

                  This is the _LAST_ time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!