Re: vim does not start with given servername

  • Asis Hallab
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2012
      2012/7/26 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
      On 25/07/12 15:29, Asis Hallab wrote:
      Dear Vimers,

      I have vim 7.2 installed on a Ubuntu 10.04

      If I start Vim, not gVim (!), in a terminal with
      vim --servername VIM

      and subsequently issue the command
      :echo v:servername

      I get a blank response.

      The same in gvim returns 'VIM'

      Does anyone know, what I am doing wrong?

      This is the output of
      vim --version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Apr 16 2010 13:27:36)
      Included patches: 1-330
      Compiled by buildd@
      Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
      [...]

      Works for me in Huge vim 7.3.615 with GTK2-GNOME GUI (on openSUSE 12.1), even when run in Console mode, but only in an xterm or konsole (emulated in an X11 virtual desktop), not in the Linux console (/dev/tty1 to /dev/tty6 and accessed by Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6), because the latter have no access to the X server and therefore cannot send or receive the X messages which are the basis for Vim's client-server feature on systems other than MS-Windows.

      It works. I was accessing my Workstation via ssh. Using ssh -X does the trick. Now I see the v:servername VIM.
      Thanks a lot!

      See :help x11-clientserver