c function prototype help

  • sinbad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
      c function prototype and macro declaration should appear as balloon help
      while the function is being used. are there any plugins that can do this.
      i use global gtags instead of ctags so any plugin which makes use of gtags
      will be helpful.

      tnx

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
        On Monday, July 23, 2012 10:50:35 PM UTC-5, sinbad wrote:
        > c function prototype and macro declaration should appear as balloon help
        > while the function is being used. are there any plugins that can do this.
        > i use global gtags instead of ctags so any plugin which makes use of gtags
        > will be helpful.
        >
        > tnx

        You can get a popup balloon when you hover the mouse using this plugin. I think it just uses the taglist in Vim so if you can get the gtags created list into a format Vim understands it should work:

        Al has indicated to me that he doesn't use the plugin anymore though so don't look for any big fixes or feature enhancements in the future. It works fairly well, but since it requires the mouse, I don't find it very useful for my workflow in Vim.

        I prefer adding "preview" to my 'completeopt' option and using omni or user completion. This uses the "preview window" instead of a balloon popup, but it accomplishes the same task.

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
          sinbad wrote:
          > c function prototype and macro declaration should appear as balloon help
          > while the function is being used. are there any plugins that can do this.
          > i use global gtags instead of ctags so any plugin which makes use of gtags
          > will be helpful.

          Perhaps the following scripts will be of interest for C and C++:

          * hints_man2.vim : shows a prototype on the bottom of the display as
          you type a function in the man 2 manpages.
          example: alarm(

          * hints_man3.vim : shows a prototype on the bottom of the display as you
          type a function in the man 3 manpages.
          example: printf(

          * hints_man3.vim : also contains a hints.vim script which will show
          prototypes based on your tags file and the word under your mouse in a
          balloon.

          I may break hints.vim out sometime, because I expect it'll work for
          other languages besides C and C++.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
            Charles Campbell wrote:
            > sinbad wrote:
            >> c function prototype and macro declaration should appear as balloon help
            >> while the function is being used. are there any plugins that can do
            >> this.
            >> i use global gtags instead of ctags so any plugin which makes use of
            >> gtags
            >> will be helpful.
            >
            > Perhaps the following scripts will be of interest for C and C++:
            >
            > * hints_man2.vim : shows a prototype on the bottom of the display as
            > you type a function in the man 2 manpages.
            > example: alarm(
            >
            > * hints_man3.vim : shows a prototype on the bottom of the display as
            > you type a function in the man 3 manpages.
            > example: printf(
            >
            > * hints_man3.vim : also contains a hints.vim script which will show
            > prototypes based on your tags file and the word under your mouse in a
            > balloon.
            >
            > I may break hints.vim out sometime, because I expect it'll work for
            > other languages besides C and C++.
            Sorry; forgot to mention where you can find these scripts.

            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HINTS_MAN2
            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HINTS_MAN3

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell