Re: VIM scrollbar

  • ping
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
      you are right Christian. it's 'laststatus' (my value was def 1)
      now I see the effect of the code.
      thanks!

      regards
      ping

      On 07/03/2012 04:48 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > Hi ping!
      >
      > On Di, 03 Jul 2012, ping wrote:
      >
      >> I did a quick test but that give me nothing, do I miss anything?
      >
      > Check your 'laststatus' setting.
      >
      > regards,
      > Christian

    • Dotan Cohen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
        On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > I used to have this one in my .vimrc (it's based on a tip by A.Politz):
        > https://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/e7c193ad5dc9c136

        Thank you Christian, this is great! In the status bar it takes up no
        additional screen space either. There is a ton of stuff that I don't
        understand in there, so I'll see what I can decipher with VIM help. If
        you are on Stack Overflow or Super User you might want to post that as
        an answer.

        I'm still holding out for marks in the statusbar, I will try to see if
        I can add them myself. Three questions that might get me on my way:
        1) For mark 'n' how might I find which line it is on, i.e. get a variable nLine?
        2) Assuming a string 'bar', how might I read an arbitrary character in
        that string?
        3) Assuming a string 'bar', how might I replace an arbitrary character
        in that string?

        I read through ':h functions' and for (2) I thought that get() would
        work, but it doesn't. And for (3) I was hoping for a put() function
        but there is none. Is there something that I'm missing or should I
        write my own helper functions for this?

        Thanks!

        --
        Dotan Cohen

        http://gibberish.co.il
        http://what-is-what.com

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
          Hi Dotan!

          On Mi, 04 Jul 2012, Dotan Cohen wrote:

          > On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
          > > I used to have this one in my .vimrc (it's based on a tip by A.Politz):
          > > https://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/e7c193ad5dc9c136
          > >

          > Thank you Christian, this is great! In the status bar it takes up no
          > additional screen space either. There is a ton of stuff that I don't
          > understand in there, so I'll see what I can decipher with VIM help. If
          > you are on Stack Overflow or Super User you might want to post that as
          > an answer.

          I only very seldomly post there, but I'll do it this time. I'll probably
          also add some kind of vertical scrollbar into my DynamicSigns plugin.

          > I'm still holding out for marks in the statusbar, I will try to see if
          > I can add them myself. Three questions that might get me on my way:
          > 1) For mark 'n' how might I find which line it is on, i.e. get a variable nLine?

          :h getpos()

          > 2) Assuming a string 'bar', how might I read an arbitrary character in
          > that string?

          Possibly using one of the match-functions or using indexing like
          "bar"[2]

          :h expr8
          :h match()

          > 3) Assuming a string 'bar', how might I replace an arbitrary character
          > in that string?

          :h substitute()

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Christian
          --
          Ein Mann ist alt, wenn er morgens ohne einen Wunsch aufwacht.
          -- Enzo Ferrari

        • Dotan Cohen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
            On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
            > I only very seldomly post there, but I'll do it this time. I'll probably
            > also add some kind of vertical scrollbar into my DynamicSigns plugin.

            Then the bounty will help! I'll take a look at the DynamicSigns
            plugin, the name sounds useful.

            >> I'm still holding out for marks in the statusbar, I will try to see if
            >> I can add them myself. Three questions that might get me on my way:
            >> 1) For mark 'n' how might I find which line it is on, i.e. get a variable nLine?
            >
            > :h getpos()
            >
            > Possibly using one of the match-functions or using indexing like
            > "bar"[2]
            >
            > :h expr8
            > :h match()
            >
            > :h substitute()

            Thank you, it looks like those are all the critical pieces. When I get
            something working I'll post it.

            > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            > Christian

            Danke Jungs!

            --
            Dotan Cohen

            http://gibberish.co.il
            http://what-is-what.com

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2012
              Hi

              On Mi, 04 Jul 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > Hi Dotan!
              >
              > On Mi, 04 Jul 2012, Dotan Cohen wrote:
              >
              > > On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
              > > > I used to have this one in my .vimrc (it's based on a tip by A.Politz):
              > > > https://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/e7c193ad5dc9c136
              > > >

              > > Thank you Christian, this is great! In the status bar it takes up no
              > > additional screen space either. There is a ton of stuff that I don't
              > > understand in there, so I'll see what I can decipher with VIM help. If
              > > you are on Stack Overflow or Super User you might want to post that as
              > > an answer.
              >
              > I only very seldomly post there, but I'll do it this time. I'll probably
              > also add some kind of vertical scrollbar into my DynamicSigns plugin.

              The development version of DynamicSigns now also contains a
              Sign-Scrollbar. You can find it here:
              https://github.com/chrisbra/DynamicSigns

              regards,
              Christian

            • Dotan Cohen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2012
                On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Christian Brabandt
                > The development version of DynamicSigns now also contains a
                > Sign-Scrollbar. You can find it here:
                > https://github.com/chrisbra/DynamicSigns

                Thanks Christian! I notice that the plugin has a makefile, but I found
                no vimball. Is it alright then to just import it all into the proper
                VIM directories? I don't use Pathogen or any such VIM package
                managers.

                --
                Dotan Cohen

                http://gibberish.co.il
                http://what-is-what.com

              • Dotan Cohen
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2012
                  On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                  > The development version of DynamicSigns now also contains a
                  > Sign-Scrollbar. You can find it here:
                  > https://github.com/chrisbra/DynamicSigns

                  Thank you, I installed the version from Git. I've noticed that in
                  DOS-formatted files there are some issues. Each line has an M, even
                  those without mixed indentation. Signs_Diff doesn't seem to work,
                  either. Signs_Bookmarks does, though. If you want I can send to you a
                  test file.

                  Also, how does one configure the plugin to start when opening a file?
                  I must type :Signs every time I open a file. Adding ":Signs" or
                  "Signs" to .vimrc does not start the pluging automatically (In fact,
                  VIM complains that it is not a command when in .vimrc). Also, I don't
                  see the status bar added.

                  Additionally, I notice that changes are not automatic, rather after
                  each line change one must run :UpdateSigns to have them updated. Might
                  it not be better to do this whenever the user leaves Insert mode or
                  adds a sign?

                  I'm not complaining, but letting you know what I've experienced. I
                  like the fact that I can now see marks and I can use the statusbar
                  code that you mentioned earlier.

                  Thank you!

                  --
                  Dotan Cohen

                  http://gibberish.co.il
                  http://what-is-what.com

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9, 2012
                    On Mon, July 9, 2012 14:55, Dotan Cohen wrote:
                    > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> The development version of DynamicSigns now also contains a
                    >> Sign-Scrollbar. You can find it here:
                    >> https://github.com/chrisbra/DynamicSigns
                    >>

                    > Thank you, I installed the version from Git. I've noticed that in
                    > DOS-formatted files there are some issues. Each line has an M, even
                    > those without mixed indentation. Signs_Diff doesn't seem to work,
                    > either. Signs_Bookmarks does, though. If you want I can send to you a
                    > test file.

                    Please send me the testfile. And please tell me, what exactly you did.
                    Possibly I need to update the documentation.

                    > Also, how does one configure the plugin to start when opening a file?
                    > I must type :Signs every time I open a file. Adding ":Signs" or
                    > "Signs" to .vimrc does not start the pluging automatically (In fact,
                    > VIM complains that it is not a command when in .vimrc). Also, I don't
                    > see the status bar added.

                    I didn't add the statusbar code, I posted earlier, but use signs to draw
                    a ascii scrollbar.

                    > Additionally, I notice that changes are not automatic, rather after
                    > each line change one must run :UpdateSigns to have them updated. Might
                    > it not be better to do this whenever the user leaves Insert mode or
                    > adds a sign?

                    It should update the signs when leaving insert mode and after writing
                    the file.

                    > I'm not complaining, but letting you know what I've experienced. I
                    > like the fact that I can now see marks and I can use the statusbar
                    > code that you mentioned earlier.

                    Thanks for the feedback. I am very grateful for it. Feel free, to
                    contact me privately about any issues you have (I think the list
                    is not the right forum for discussing my plugin).

                    regards,
                    Christian

                  • ping
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2012
                      more test results:

                      I used to have this and like it:

                      "config 1:
                      set statusline=%F%m%r%h%w\ [FORMAT=%{&ff}]\ [TYPE=%Y]\ [ASCII=\%03.3b]\
                      [HEX=\%02.2B]\ [POS=%04l,%04v]\ [%p%%]\ [LEN=%L]

                      now to add the statusline bar, I put following right *under* above line

                      "config 2
                      func! STL()
                      let stl = '%f [%{(&fenc==""?&enc:&fenc).((exists("+bomb") &&
                      &bomb)?",B":"")}%M%R%H%W] %y [%l/%L,%v] [%p%%]'
                      let barWidth = &columns - 65 " <-- wild guess
                      let barWidth = barWidth < 3 ? 3 : barWidth

                      if line('$') > 1
                      let progress = (line('.')-1) * (barWidth-1) / (line('$')-1)
                      else
                      let progress = barWidth/2
                      endif

                      " line + vcol + %
                      let pad = strlen(line('$'))-strlen(line('.')) + 3 -
                      strlen(virtcol('.')) + 3 - strlen(line('.')*100/line('$'))
                      let bar = repeat(' ',pad).' [%1*%'.barWidth.'.'.barWidth.'('
                      \.repeat('-',progress )
                      \.'%2*0%1*'
                      \.repeat('-',barWidth - progress - 1).'%0*%)%<]'

                      return stl.bar
                      endfun

                      hi def link User1 DiffAdd
                      hi def link User2 DiffDelete
                      set stl=%!STL()

                      I know the stl now got reset, but when I test it, I find:
                      left, and my new stl bar is also there in the right, which is nice.
                      but the issue is:
                      I seems lost a bit info from config 1:
                      //originally with config1:
                      [0,0005] [66%] [LEN=15] ~/.vimrc [FORMAT=unix] [TYPE=VIM] [ASCII=032]
                      [HEX=20] [POS=0367,0001] [34%] [LEN=1056]

                      //now with addition of config2:
                      RLI-12720.txt_VOOM27 [utf-8,-] [voomtree> RLI-12720.txt [utf-8]
                      [asciidoc2] [2151/2952,1] [72%]

                      so the issue is,
                      1) I lost a small piece of info (the # of lines) of my original stl info,
                      2) currently my bar works only for the 1st 75% part of the file. as you
                      can see from above.

                      how to combile the 2? --- just use the space left by my original stl
                      config in the right side for the new bar config, but without trunking my
                      original info?

                      thanks!