file type detection : "complete" order

  • ping
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012
      guys/experts:
      sorry If I'm asking an idiot question...
      I'm learning about auto detection of file type and apply my own syntax
      highlight+folding based on it.
      so overall we have following machnism:

      1) ex: set ft=
      2) modeline: vim:ft= ..
      3) $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim
      4) ~/.vim/ftdetect/xxx_filetype.vim
      5) ....

      what's the complete logic/detect order in place here?

      help ftdetect does give me a lot of good info, but I'm not sure in what
      sequence vim applies them?

      thanks

      regards
      ping

    • ping
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
        On 7/3/2012 10:43 AM, ping wrote:
        > guys/experts:
        > sorry If I'm asking an idiot question...
        > I'm learning about auto detection of file type and apply my own syntax
        > highlight+folding based on it.
        > so overall we have following machnism:
        >
        > 1) ex: set ft=
        > 2) modeline: vim:ft= ..
        > 3) $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim
        > 4) ~/.vim/ftdetect/xxx_filetype.vim
        > 5) ....
        >
        > what's the complete logic/detect order in place here?
        >
        > help ftdetect does give me a lot of good info, but I'm not sure in what
        > sequence vim applies them?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > regards
        > ping

        after read more...
        now to answer my own questions now, please correct me if I'm wrong or
        missing anything...

        :help filetype tells:
        ---------------------------------------
        turn file type detection on [:filetype on] =>
        locate and load filetype.vim =>
        it contains: autocommands for the BufNewFile and BufRead events
        fail? =>
        locate and load scripts.vim , and detect from the contents

        turn plugin option on [:filetype plugin on] =>

        locate and load ftplugin.vim
        load ftplugin/ and all its files

        :help runtimepath
        ---------------------------------------
        tells in what sequence the above files/folders should be searched and
        loaded. ALL (not the first found) found files/folders will be loaded.

        another email from the vim_use group (Gary)
        --------------------------------------
        so anything you set in ~/.vim/ftplugin/python/python.vim may be
        overwritten in /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/python.vim. You
        can add code to your plugin to prevent the contents of Vim's plugin
        from being executed, but that isn't what you want to do here.
        Instead, you should put your option setting in
        ~/.vim/after/ftpluin/python.vim or
        ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/python/python.vim so that yours is set after Vim's.

      • ping
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2012
          On 7/17/2012 12:53 AM, ping wrote:
          > On 7/3/2012 10:43 AM, ping wrote:
          >> guys/experts:
          >> sorry If I'm asking an idiot question...
          >> I'm learning about auto detection of file type and apply my own syntax
          >> highlight+folding based on it.
          >> so overall we have following machnism:
          >>
          >> 1) ex: set ft=
          >> 2) modeline: vim:ft= ..
          >> 3) $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim
          >> 4) ~/.vim/ftdetect/xxx_filetype.vim
          >> 5) ....
          >>
          >> what's the complete logic/detect order in place here?
          >>
          >> help ftdetect does give me a lot of good info, but I'm not sure in what
          >> sequence vim applies them?
          >>
          >> thanks
          >>
          >> regards
          >> ping
          >
          > after read more...
          > now to answer my own questions now, please correct me if I'm wrong or
          > missing anything...
          >
          > :help filetype tells:
          > ---------------------------------------
          > turn file type detection on [:filetype on] =>
          > locate and load filetype.vim =>
          > it contains: autocommands for the BufNewFile and BufRead events
          > fail? =>
          > locate and load scripts.vim , and detect from the contents
          >
          > turn plugin option on [:filetype plugin on] =>
          > locate and load ftplugin.vim
          > load ftplugin/ and all its files
          >

          > :help runtimepath
          > ---------------------------------------
          > tells in what sequence the above files/folders should be searched and
          > loaded. ALL (not the first found) found files/folders will be loaded.
          >
          > another email from the vim_use group (Gary)
          > --------------------------------------
          > so anything you set in ~/.vim/ftplugin/python/python.vim may be
          > overwritten in /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/python.vim. You
          > can add code to your plugin to prevent the contents of Vim's plugin
          > from being executed, but that isn't what you want to do here.
          > Instead, you should put your option setting in
          > ~/.vim/after/ftpluin/python.vim or
          > ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/python/python.vim so that yours is set after Vim's.

          I got following from help usr_43.txt:

          Therefore, the order of checks is:
          1. filetype.vim files before $VIMRUNTIME in 'runtimepath'
          2. first part of $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim
          3. all scripts.vim files in 'runtimepath'
          4. remainder of $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim
          5. filetype.vim files after $VIMRUNTIME in 'runtimepath'