Re: print vim syntax highlighted text to stdout using ansi color

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
      > Did you check the content of ./v? Is it the same with
      > the online version? Did you chmod the script to add the execution bit?
      >
      > I just tried the latest version and it works for me.
      > Just note that it has been renamed to `_v`.

      Obviously, I did what you have mentioned.

      ~/dvcs_src/utils$ ./_v _v ; echo xxx
      xxx

      I also tired to use the script by vim directly.
      ~/dvcs_src/utils$ vim -e -X -R "_v" -c "source _v" -c "visual" -c
      "bufdo call AnsiHighlight()" -c qa

      All I got was a flash of the screen (with non content) and then exit.
      So I guess may be related with my vim setup. Could anybody try the
      above command and let me know what you get? Thanks!

      My OS is Mac OS X snow leopard.

      ~/dvcs_src/utils$ vim --version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun 18 2012 01:05:44)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-244, 246-556
      Compiled by root@...
      Normal version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      -conceal +cryptv -cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
      -dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path
      +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
      +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
      +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
      -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
      +mouse_xterm -mouse_urxvt +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg
      +path_extra -perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer -profile +python
      -python3 +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
      -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
      +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
      -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "/opt/local/etc/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/opt/local/share/vim"
      Compilation: /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
      -I/opt/local/include -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -pipe -O2 -arch
      x86_64 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
      Linking: /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64
      -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lm -lncurses -liconv -lintl -framework
      Cocoa -L/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/config
      -lpython2.7 -framework CoreFoundation -u _PyMac_Error
      /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Python

      Peng

    • Magnus Woldrich
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
        >MacOS X (unix) version
        >Compiled by root@...

        I'm sorry but the only thing I know about terminals in macos is that
        they doesn't work.

        Can you try it in something that is not terminal.app or iterm? Something
        like an xterm.

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun 29 2012 19:25:34)
        Included patches: 1-353
        Compiled by wolly - Fri Jun 29 19:25:31 CEST 2012
        Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
        +user_commands_lowercase +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
        +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11
        +xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "~/etc/vim/vimrc"
        2nd user vimrc file: "$VIMRUNTIME/vimrc"
        3rd user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"

        stracing what's happening can be an idea, and maybe the -D flag for vim
        can be useful.
        Have you asked about your issue in the #vim channel on freenode?
        There's a lot of mac{,vim} users, so someone might have an idea.

        --
        Magnus Woldrich
        m@..., woldrich@...

      • Peng Yu
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
          On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Magnus Woldrich <m@...> wrote:
          >> MacOS X (unix) version
          >> Compiled by root@...
          >

          > I'm sorry but the only thing I know about terminals in macos is that
          > they doesn't work.
          >
          > Can you try it in something that is not terminal.app or iterm? Something
          > like an xterm.

          _v with xterm doesn't work on my mac. But _v does work on my linux machine.

          I'm trying to understand _v better. Why fd 9 is used? Is it special to vim?

          exec 9<>"$tmpfile"

          It seems the vim command in _v writes to fd 9.

          When I try the following command, it indeed write the content of _v
          along with the ansi color code to output.txt

          /usr/bin/vim -e -X -R "_v" -c "source _v" -c "visual" -c "bufdo call
          AnsiHighlight()" -c qa 2>/dev/null 9>output.txt

          But the above code does not work on Mac. I tried with a number of file
          descriptors. But none of them work. So it seems the problem is to find
          a fd that works on Mac.

          Note that this seem to be related to my recent question.

          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/5797aa7de679930

          Peng