vim: what the current best practice to work with excel file (xlsx)?

  • ping
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
      hi guys:
      I know this is kind of an "old" topic.
      my colleague send me some good forms but unfortunately (as expected) in a MS xlsx file.
      I can open it with OOO or even MS-excel2007(via a crossover simulation) smoothly, w/o an issue (I run Ubuntu).
      but still I want to conveniently copy/paste from excel into my vim notes.

      I tried "save as" from excel into:

      format                                 issue
      csv (comma delimited)                 some of my data contains comma
      formatted text(space delimited)         hard to align
      web page                              hard to render a framed page

      is there any known best way to load my excel data into vim today?

      thanks!

      regards
      ping

    • Erik Christiansen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
        On 08.06.12 09:45, ping wrote:
        > I tried "save as" from excel into:
        >
        > format issue
        > csv (comma delimited) some of my data contains comma

        If cell data contains cell delimiters, can the saved file even be
        re-imported into excel? i.e. It is corrupted data which is being saved,
        AIUI. The few spreadsheets I've encountered (long ago, admittedly) allow
        the cell delimiter to be set prior to saving the file. Can excel not do
        that? (It's what I've repeatedly done in similar circumstances ... well,
        actually asked others to do with their spreadsheets, before mining
        the data with text tools. ISTR tab being used instead of comma.)

        > formatted text(space delimited) hard to align

        An aligning plugin was named on this list in the last week or so, ISTR.
        It might do the job?

        > web page hard to render a framed page

        That does seem like the long way there. :-)

        Erik

        --
        After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that
        brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."

      • ping
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
          thanks Eric,
          I was trying to find out how to define my own delimiter (like a : or ; depending on which
          one is not in the data itself) but no luck.
          I'll login to a real windows machine with an EXCEL and try again.
          b.t.w, space as a delimiter will need to face the same issue - the data might have spaces.

          regards
          ping

          On 06/08/2012 10:24 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
          On 08.06.12 09:45, ping wrote:

[...]

        • lith
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
            > csv (comma delimited)                 some of my data contains
            > comma

            If your method of changing the field separator doesn't work, as a last resort you could also change the locale (some use ; as field separator). Or, the proper solution, you could enclose the field in quotes (you'd probably have to research the proper escaping rules).

            It's odd that OO or LibreOffice cannot open the file. Can you import the file into google docs?

            Regards,
            Tom

          • ping
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
              hi Tom:
              yes I did some research, very funny that the method to define a new delimiter when exporting data from EXCEL is outside of the App:
              http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21456/export-or-save-excel-files-with-pipe-or-other-delimiters-instead-of-commas/

              since I'm running crossover (wine emulation) MS excel, it doesn't work for me.

              b.t.w I meant OO *CAN" opent the MS files without issues in most time.

              On 06/08/2012 12:46 PM, lith wrote:
                      csv (comma delimited)                 some of my data contains
                      comma

              If your method of changing the field separator doesn't work, as a last resort you could also change the locale (some use ; as field separator). Or, the proper solution, you could enclose the field in quotes (you'd probably have to research the proper escaping rules).

              It's odd that OO or LibreOffice cannot open the file. Can you import the file into google docs?

              Regards,
              Tom

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
                Hi ping!

                On Fr, 08 Jun 2012, ping wrote:

                > hi guys:
                > I know this is kind of an "old" topic.
                > my colleague send me some good forms but unfortunately (as expected)
                > in a MS xlsx file.
                > I can open it with OOO or even MS-excel2007(via a crossover
                > simulation) smoothly, w/o an issue (I run Ubuntu).
                > but still I want to conveniently copy/paste from excel into my vim notes.
                >
                > I tried "save as" from excel into:
                >
                > format issue
                > csv (comma delimited) some of my data contains comma
                > formatted text(space delimited) hard to align
                > web page hard to render a framed page
                >
                > is there any known best way to load my excel data into vim today?

                Use the csv plugin

                regards,
                Christian

              • John Beckett
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2012
                  ping wrote:
                  > is there any known best way to load my excel data into vim

                  When saving as csv, I thought Excel put quotes around fields
                  that contain commas? I do know that the following tip attempts
                  to handle csv files that contain quoted strings. Also, it has a
                  section on using a Perl script to work with Excel:
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/CSV

                  John

                • ping
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                    hi Chris/folks:

                    thanks for the suggestion.
                    OOO has this good feature I forgot completely that to let you define "text delimiter" (" by def) and "field delimiter" (, by def) ...
                    so there won't be an issue if the content of fields contains any comma or any characters..

                    today I look at the csv plugin again, and I got the issue right after I log a csv file:

                    //say this is my file content:
                    ,,,
                    "NH Walk for MAC validation  for Customer's with dhcp binded but not pingable",,,
                    ,,,
                    "Commands","Where to Execute","Expected Output","Actual Output collected for a affected subscriber"
                    "show ip route <IP of the affected subscriber> detail","CLI","it will display the information about particular interface. From this we can fetch the interface index.  See comments for example.(IntfIndex 0x1F)",
                    "showInterfaceInfo <0x1F>","Line card shell","From this command we can fetch the interface channel value. See comments for example(channel  = 0x00000408).",
                    "ipAlShowIf <0x00000408>","Line card shell","From this command we can fetch FC & IC address of codebranches which are all called & created for that particular channel.(SRAM 0xc0207d18 - codebranch pointer for Demux Tree(For mac validation))",
                    "luKtreeDump <0xc0207d18>","Line card shell","From this command we can fetch the descriptor pointer for the particular Ktree node.",
                    "luCallTableDescWalk <0,0x8020e898,4,1>","Line card shell","From this command we can get the SRAM address of the MAC entry stored.",
                    "luDumpSram <0,0xc0207e70,20>","Line card shell","From this command we can fetch the MAC address which is stored in the FC address.",
                    "show ip mac-validate int <gig 2/0/3.10>","CLI","This command will display the MAC address which is stored in the application side. This is used to check and make sure whether the same MAC address present in FC address too.",

                    //after loading it looks like this:

                    it's kind of messed up. or most probably I missed sth?

                    regards
                    ping

                    On 06/08/2012 04:05 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                    Hi ping!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                      Hi ping!

                      On Di, 12 Jun 2012, ping wrote:

                      > today I look at the csv plugin again, and I got the issue right
                      > after I log a csv file:
                      >
                      > //say this is my file content:
                      > ,,,
                      > "NH Walk for MAC validation for Customer's with dhcp binded but not
                      > pingable",,,
                      > ,,,
                      > "Commands","Where to Execute","Expected Output","Actual Output
                      > collected for a affected subscriber"
                      > "show ip route <IP of the affected subscriber> detail","CLI","it
                      > will display the information about particular interface. From this
                      > we can fetch the interface index. See comments for
                      > example.(IntfIndex 0x1F)",
                      > "showInterfaceInfo <0x1F>","Line card shell","From this command we
                      > can fetch the interface channel value. See comments for
                      > example(channel = 0x00000408).",
                      > "ipAlShowIf <0x00000408>","Line card shell","From this command we
                      > can fetch FC & IC address of codebranches which are all called &
                      > created for that particular channel.(SRAM 0xc0207d18 - codebranch
                      > pointer for Demux Tree(For mac validation))",
                      > "luKtreeDump <0xc0207d18>","Line card shell","From this command we
                      > can fetch the descriptor pointer for the particular Ktree node.",
                      > "luCallTableDescWalk <0,0x8020e898,4,1>","Line card shell","From
                      > this command we can get the SRAM address of the MAC entry stored.",
                      > "luDumpSram <0,0xc0207e70,20>","Line card shell","From this command
                      > we can fetch the MAC address which is stored in the FC address.",
                      > "show ip mac-validate int <gig 2/0/3.10>","CLI","This command will
                      > display the MAC address which is stored in the application side.
                      > This is used to check and make sure whether the same MAC address
                      > present in FC address too.",
                      >

                      > //after loading it looks like this:
                      >

                      > it's kind of messed up. or most probably I missed sth?

                      I really barely understand, what you are trying to say. If your file
                      contains \n within a cell, then this is probably the problem, why it
                      looks bad. But please attach some sample data or upload it somewhere, or
                      else I don't know what you mean. A screenshot also helps.

                      regards,
                      Christian
                      --
                      Das Gehirn ist ein wundervolles Organ. Es fängt sofort an zu arbeiten,
                      wenn man morgens aufwacht, und hört nicht auf damit, bis man im Büro

                    • ping
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                        sorry about the confusion..not sure why you didn't get my screenshot in my last email. and my file lines were all truncated (it does not contain \r).
                        guess it was filtered by google-group.
                        here attached the file and hope you can get it this time.

                        b.t.w, after reading csv plugin help , It looks I can use :ArrangeColumn after visual selection to format the selected texts...
                        but I'm not sure why this is not the default behavior.

                        regards
                        ping

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                          Hi ping!

                          On Di, 12 Jun 2012, ping wrote:

                          > sorry about the confusion..not sure why you didn't get my screenshot
                          > in my last email. and my file lines were all truncated (it does not
                          > contain \r).
                          > guess it was filtered by google-group.
                          > here attached the file and hope you can get it this time.

                          Thanks. After a quick look, I think, the CSV plugin can work with this
                          data. The only problem seems to be, that some lines have 4 columns,
                          while other have 3 columns. :ArrangeColumn will complain about that, but
                          should still work.

                          > b.t.w, after reading csv plugin help , It looks I can use
                          > :ArrangeColumn after visual selection to format the selected
                          > texts...
                          > but I'm not sure why this is not the default behavior.

                          Because the plugin by default should not change the buffer content and
                          because :ArrangeColumn can be very slow for large data files.

                          If you still want this behaviour, have a look at :h csv-arrange-autocmd

                          regards,
                          Christian

                        • ping

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                              been nearly a year now...
                              from time to time I use this plugin, and it mostly of the time works great.

                              another issue I got annoying is , the <space> was re-mapped to some
                              folding functions.
                              I understand this is a neat feature, but that overides my previous map,
                              to use <space> as c-f (page down).
                              is there a way for me to undo this? (or can I define my own key for the
                              folding?)

                              thanks!

                              regards
                              ping

                              On 06/12/2012 04:41 PM, ping wrote:
                              > oh I got it, making sense ,
                              > I'll see how frequent I need this and learn more about how to fine tune
                              > it per my need.
                              >
                              > thanks!
                              >
                              > On 06/12/2012 04:01 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                              >> Hi ping!
                              >>
                              >> On Di, 12 Jun 2012, ping wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> sorry about the confusion..not sure why you didn't get my screenshot
                              >>> in my last email. and my file lines were all truncated (it does not
                              >>> contain \r).
                              >>> guess it was filtered by google-group.
                              >>> here attached the file and hope you can get it this time.
                              >> Thanks. After a quick look, I think, the CSV plugin can work with this
                              >> data. The only problem seems to be, that some lines have 4 columns,
                              >> while other have 3 columns. :ArrangeColumn will complain about that, but
                              >> should still work.
                              >>
                              >>> b.t.w, after reading csv plugin help , It looks I can use
                              >>> :ArrangeColumn after visual selection to format the selected
                              >>> texts...
                              >>> but I'm not sure why this is not the default behavior.
                              >> Because the plugin by default should not change the buffer content and
                              >> because :ArrangeColumn can be very slow for large data files.
                              >>
                              >> If you still want this behaviour, have a look at :h csv-arrange-autocmd
                              >>
                              >> regards,
                              >> Christian

                            • Christian Brabandt
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                                Hi ping!

                                On Fr, 05 Apr 2013, ping wrote:

                                [CSV filetype plugin]
                                > been nearly a year now...
                                > from time to time I use this plugin, and it mostly of the time works great.
                                >
                                > another issue I got annoying is , the <space> was re-mapped to some
                                > folding functions.
                                > I understand this is a neat feature, but that overides my previous
                                > map, to use <space> as c-f (page down).
                                > is there a way for me to undo this? (or can I define my own key for
                                > the folding?)

                                Hm, no, currently there is no way to prevent the mapping of keys. I'll
                                take care of that.

                                For the time being, I suggest put your favorite mapping into a file
                                ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/csv.vim

                                That should take care of it.

                                regards,
                                Christian