Re: Too many instances of vim?

  • Dominique Pellé
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
      Shawn <spacephys@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has become
      > painfully slow when it writes to disk.  I am checking into other
      > possibilities, but one reason for this (in my mind) might be that I
      > have too many instances of vim up at the same time.  I have 48 GB of
      > memory, so I don't think that it is a memory issue, and my files are
      > relatively small (~500 lines), so I am wondering if there is some
      > central vim manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
      > instances and not closing the others.  Does this make sense?  If so,
      > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
      > I am keeping up?  If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
      > slow?  I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.

      I'm not sure what's the root cause for slow writes here, but one
      possibility could be that fsync() is slow on your file system.
      If so, doing this will help:

      :set nofsync

      Read ":help fsync" to be aware of the possible drawbacks in case
      of system crash.

      Personally, I use ":set nofsync" on my laptop to avoid spinning
      the disk whenever I write to file. I consider Linux reliable enough
      that I can afford delaying the write. My ~/.vimrc contains:

      if exists('+fsync') | set nofsync | endif

      Regards
      -- Dominique

    • Shawn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
        Thanks to everyone, your inputs were all good possibilities. It turns
        out that Ben's suggestion to test the plugins was the one I needed.
        When I stopped using one of my python plugins everything started
        working as expected.

        -shawn