Re: Too many instances of vim?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
      > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
      > I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
      > slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.
      btrfs on older kernels and a linux staying up for 3-4 days can cause
      such behaviour. Its very unlikely that its Vims fault (unless any script
      is starting to do something wired)..

      if that happens again try a different editor (nano, ...) and see how
      fast they write to find out whether its Vim or OS related.

      Marc Weber

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
        Shawn wrote:
        > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has
        > become painfully slow when it writes to disk. I am checking
        > into other possibilities, but one reason for this (in my
        > mind) might be that I have too many instances of vim up at
        > the same time. I have 48 GB of memory, so I don't think that
        > it is a memory issue, and my files are relatively small (~500
        > lines), so I am wondering if there is some central vim
        > manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
        > instances and not closing the others. Does this make sense?
        > If so, is there anything I can do about it other than closing
        > the files that I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as
        > to why it might be so slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it
        > took 34 seconds.

        In addition to what Ben said, is the network in use at all
        during this? For example, are the files Vim is working on
        accessed over a network, or (if Windows) is your profile
        or home directory accessed over the network?

        Possibly you have some plugin that is doing silly things? Use
        :scriptnames to see what is loaded, and temporarily remove
        anything not essential. If possible, start Vim like this:

        vim -N -u NONE -i NONE (files)

        Or use gvim in above. If it is now fast, one of your plugins is
        responsible. One plugin I know of that shares data between
        instances is mru.vim. I have never seen it cause a slowdown, but
        I suppose if you had hundreds of Vim instances it might.

        BTW using gvim with tab pages is often better than multiple
        instances.

        John

      • Dominique Pellé
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
          Shawn <spacephys@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has become
          > painfully slow when it writes to disk.  I am checking into other
          > possibilities, but one reason for this (in my mind) might be that I
          > have too many instances of vim up at the same time.  I have 48 GB of
          > memory, so I don't think that it is a memory issue, and my files are
          > relatively small (~500 lines), so I am wondering if there is some
          > central vim manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
          > instances and not closing the others.  Does this make sense?  If so,
          > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
          > I am keeping up?  If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
          > slow?  I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.

          I'm not sure what's the root cause for slow writes here, but one
          possibility could be that fsync() is slow on your file system.
          If so, doing this will help:

          :set nofsync

          Read ":help fsync" to be aware of the possible drawbacks in case
          of system crash.

          Personally, I use ":set nofsync" on my laptop to avoid spinning
          the disk whenever I write to file. I consider Linux reliable enough
          that I can afford delaying the write. My ~/.vimrc contains:

          if exists('+fsync') | set nofsync | endif

          Regards
          -- Dominique

        • Shawn
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
            Thanks to everyone, your inputs were all good possibilities. It turns
            out that Ben's suggestion to test the plugins was the one I needed.
            When I stopped using one of my python plugins everything started
            working as expected.

            -shawn