Too many instances of vim?

  • Shawn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has become
      painfully slow when it writes to disk. I am checking into other
      possibilities, but one reason for this (in my mind) might be that I
      have too many instances of vim up at the same time. I have 48 GB of
      memory, so I don't think that it is a memory issue, and my files are
      relatively small (~500 lines), so I am wondering if there is some
      central vim manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
      instances and not closing the others. Does this make sense? If so,
      is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
      I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
      slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
        On Friday, June 1, 2012 5:07:38 PM UTC-5, Shawn wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has become
        > painfully slow when it writes to disk. I am checking into other
        > possibilities, but one reason for this (in my mind) might be that I
        > have too many instances of vim up at the same time. I have 48 GB of
        > memory, so I don't think that it is a memory issue, and my files are
        > relatively small (~500 lines), so I am wondering if there is some
        > central vim manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
        > instances and not closing the others. Does this make sense? If so,
        > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
        > I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
        > slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.

        Nope, no central Vim manager, they're all independent unless you explicitly make them communicate. Do operations outside of Vim take a long time as well, or just Vim? Can you reproduce it without all your personal config and plugins, too? It's possible one of those is interfering.

        I have noticed that Vim can be VERY slow if runtimepath contains network directories...I've moved my config files to my local disk to fix that.

        Or maybe you're saving a really huge .viminfo and/or undo file along with the file you're saving?

        Note Vim comes with profiling features, depending on what options you compiled with. See :help profile. You may be able to find the culprit using that, but then again, maybe not.

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
          > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
          > I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
          > slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.
          btrfs on older kernels and a linux staying up for 3-4 days can cause
          such behaviour. Its very unlikely that its Vims fault (unless any script
          is starting to do something wired)..

          if that happens again try a different editor (nano, ...) and see how
          fast they write to find out whether its Vim or OS related.

          Marc Weber

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
            Shawn wrote:
            > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has
            > become painfully slow when it writes to disk. I am checking
            > into other possibilities, but one reason for this (in my
            > mind) might be that I have too many instances of vim up at
            > the same time. I have 48 GB of memory, so I don't think that
            > it is a memory issue, and my files are relatively small (~500
            > lines), so I am wondering if there is some central vim
            > manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
            > instances and not closing the others. Does this make sense?
            > If so, is there anything I can do about it other than closing
            > the files that I am keeping up? If not, any other ideas as
            > to why it might be so slow? I just saved a 650 line file, it
            > took 34 seconds.

            In addition to what Ben said, is the network in use at all
            during this? For example, are the files Vim is working on
            accessed over a network, or (if Windows) is your profile
            or home directory accessed over the network?

            Possibly you have some plugin that is doing silly things? Use
            :scriptnames to see what is loaded, and temporarily remove
            anything not essential. If possible, start Vim like this:

            vim -N -u NONE -i NONE (files)

            Or use gvim in above. If it is now fast, one of your plugins is
            responsible. One plugin I know of that shares data between
            instances is mru.vim. I have never seen it cause a slowdown, but
            I suppose if you had hundreds of Vim instances it might.

            BTW using gvim with tab pages is often better than multiple
            instances.

            John

          • Dominique Pellé
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
              Shawn <spacephys@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I have used vim for several years now, but recently vim has become
              > painfully slow when it writes to disk.  I am checking into other
              > possibilities, but one reason for this (in my mind) might be that I
              > have too many instances of vim up at the same time.  I have 48 GB of
              > memory, so I don't think that it is a memory issue, and my files are
              > relatively small (~500 lines), so I am wondering if there is some
              > central vim manager that gets overworked if I keep pulling up vim
              > instances and not closing the others.  Does this make sense?  If so,
              > is there anything I can do about it other than closing the files that
              > I am keeping up?  If not, any other ideas as to why it might be so
              > slow?  I just saved a 650 line file, it took 34 seconds.

              I'm not sure what's the root cause for slow writes here, but one
              possibility could be that fsync() is slow on your file system.
              If so, doing this will help:

              :set nofsync

              Read ":help fsync" to be aware of the possible drawbacks in case
              of system crash.

              Personally, I use ":set nofsync" on my laptop to avoid spinning
              the disk whenever I write to file. I consider Linux reliable enough
              that I can afford delaying the write. My ~/.vimrc contains:

              if exists('+fsync') | set nofsync | endif

              Regards
              -- Dominique

            • Shawn
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
                Thanks to everyone, your inputs were all good possibilities. It turns
                out that Ben's suggestion to test the plugins was the one I needed.
                When I stopped using one of my python plugins everything started
                working as expected.

                -shawn