Re: caps lock

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1 2:11 AM
      On Fri, June 1, 2012 10:04, sinbad wrote:
      > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
      > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
      > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

      If you find a way, to turn on/off caps-lock via a script, you could call
      that script from an InsertEnter/Leave autocommand.

      Apart from that, there is nothing more an editor can do for you, besides
      maybe remapping a whole bunch of keys.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 3:17 AM
        On 06/01/12 04:11, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > If you find a way, to turn on/off caps-lock via a script, you could call
        > that script from an InsertEnter/Leave autocommand.

        Just a caveat that InsertLeave doesn't execute if you're leaving
        Insert mode via control+C

        -tim

      • Michael van Schaik
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1 6:51 AM
          Op vrijdag 1 juni 2012 10:04:35 UTC+2 schreef sinbad het volgende:
          > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
          > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
          > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

          Hi Sinbad,

          Check out this article: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key it links to two seperate instructions for remapping the Caps Lock to Esc for different environments. Maybe this will help you to get to what you want.

          Good luck.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1 7:28 AM
            On Friday, June 1, 2012 3:04:35 AM UTC-5, sinbad wrote:
            > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
            > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
            > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Insert-mode_only_Caps_Lock

            I think it solves some of the problems brought up by the others in this thread.